Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PETROL LEAK

James Saunders

Hi

Anybody had experience of leaking petrol ?

The other evening after a blat we could smell petrol in the garage but didnt take much notice until today when it can still be smelt and the problem seems to be coming from the back of the car. When I moved the car outside and parked on the sloped drive with nose in the air it started to leak onto the gravel. The tank is almost full with with fuel.

Anything a novice can check for / repair ? surely the tank itself wouldnt spring a leak ? its not been damaged / knocked or anything like that.

Thanks

James

Edited by - James Saunders on 15 Sep 2007 12:21:47

Had this on my SV, pinhole in the top of the front side of the tank. Used some epoxy and it was no good, bought some cheapo fuel tank sealant and all is good now. You can even use it while there is fuel in the tank, although I drained mine.

Places to look are the tank fuel gauge sender on the top of the tank. Many of these eventually leak at some point and they are a pain to fix as the boot floor needs to come out. If your car is fuel injected, the pump seal at the end of the tank in the right rear wheel arch can also leak. Also check the pipework from this forward to the fuel filter behind the driver as it has a reputation for perishing.

Looks like it is coming out of the top of the tank.

As you stand at the back of the car, the left hand side corner closest to the passenger seat looks damp. Fuel is definately leaking from there I think. Around all of the pipes / connections on the middle and the right hand side of the tank seem dry. Garage stinks of fuel. Have siphoned about 8ltrs out tonight from the full tank so will see if its still leaking in the morning...

Poor dogs have started coughing this weekend... good job they dont smoke 😬

James

I think the thread referred to was about Keith Henson's leak (of fuel!!!).

That was the result of a perished gasket for the level sender which is mounted on the top of the tank. It requires the removal of the boot floor to gain access and is a simple job to do. Gasket is 3 or 4 pounds from CC/Redline. Keith was unable to identify anywhere else to find one in the short time he had available prior to the 50th bash.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear