Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ali floor panels

lowlander

hi there,

Loking underneath my car the other day I notice that 4 on the rivets fixing the ali plate to the chassis have popped. they are located underneath the drivers seat closest to the transmission tunnel. The ali panel looks a little bent as well.

How big a job is it to fix? Can I simply re-fix the panel using the same holes?

thanks and all the best.

depends if the holes have been mashed by whatever took the rivets out. You'll need to get a decent look at them first.

The rivets (IIRC) should be steel, not ally, since the floor is unsupported and the weight is therefore on the rivets. This means a standard pop riveter and forearms like Popeye, or an air riveter....or pay someone to do the job!

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD?

• Leadership Team

Common place for them to fail, and in the past they were specified as ally. Best to replace all the ones in the main square beneath the seat with steel rivets (available from Caterham if you can't be bothered looking anywhere else). Relatively easy with an ordinary pop-rivetter, but you'll probably need to wear gloves and take your time!

I redid all the interior panels on my car which came to a total of about 700 rivets, around 150 of which are steel for the floor. All done with a hand rivetter which is now ready for the bin!

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

And don't put the job off.

I hadn't noticed mine and nearly ended up with my arse all over a French motorway. Once they start going, the others will go more quickly. And nothing makes you pucker up more than hearing a metallic zipper type noise at speed ;)

Air riveter really is the way forward I supsect - did mine with a hand one and it wasn't fun.