Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Install R400 -- help needed

Charlie XGO

I assumed it was a tight fit, and it is! Nearly defeated, but not yet!

I am sort of stuck. the engine is nearly in...Gearbox mount on front edge of its platform.problem is right back edge of engine/bell house are jammed up against the pedal box, and the engine is slightly crooked...gear tail too far right...at the front left, it is nearly impossible to lower the engine because the Alternator Pulley is interfereing with the front left cross member.

One thought is to remove the Alternator Pulley, but I do not know how. If I turn the large nut on the front of the pulley, no surprise the belt and the pulley turn.

If this suggestion works and gives me the clearance, how do I remove the pulley?

And if I do, can I reinstall it and tighten the belt with the engine in?

I and the engine really are stuck!!! the engine is the Caterham 2.0litre.

Thanks for any thoughts....! *smile*

Mic, do you mean to release the belt prior to removing the alternator? There is a small nut in the middle of the bigger one on the front of the alternator, could you explain in a little more detail what I am to do? sorry to sound a novice, but I am!

thanks

The nut in the middle of the belt tensioner(top of engine in front of inlet manifold) is used the pull on the spring in the tensioner so that thet belt can be removed. Don't undo the alternator pulley. Remove the belt before removing the alternator.

Mic,

don't know if you will receive this...but thank you so much. You do not know how timely your call to help was! I had to get the engine in tonight as I had to get the hoist back to the hire shop tomorrow as we are on the family Summer Hols first thing Friday!!

Alternator off...engine in! Success! You would not believe another small probelm which I sorted....the battery was in the way of the intake manifold...why? Because it was mounted on the lower shelf, not the upper shelf!!!

One for Catheram to sort in the post build check!

Thanks again... *smile*