Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Scholar or not??? oh and dry sump??

Richards 7

You may have read about the hole in the side of my engine, ☹️ so I'm looking for advice for repalcement. I have 2 quotes from DVA £1700 for a short engine of £1950 for a scholar. My 'old' engine is/ was 1.8 K and about 190 bhp. Used fast road mainly and touring. Is the scholar worth the extra?? Some say yes others no.

Also is an apollo significantly worse than a full dry sump as I'm planning to upgrade the lube system. I understand the full dry sump is significantly more expensive, but again is it worth the extra??

Would appreciate your valued opinions 😶‍🌫️

R

Why do you need more power? said SWMBO not understanding at all

Scholar every time and nows your perfect opportunity.

If youve got the cash go for a full dry sump

If adding it now go PACE if youd been getting it when you ordered car that would have been the time to go for the Caterham system

I run a 1900 Scholar with full house DVA VHPD head and a Pace system best move I ever did.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

I went Scholar put together by DVA similar to Johnty but stuck with 1800, Dave does some additional work to block when putting it together and checks every part of the build. I stayed with Apollo after a discussion with Dave and a review of the funds. the engine has only done 700 miles so far but I am really pleased so far.

Andy

• Leadership Team

If you can afford it definately go dry sump. My belief is that the wet sump lubrication is on the absolute limit that can be achieved with such a shallow sump - if you remove the sump pan you'll see just how little oil there is left when you start to see the gauge needle flicker - and in some cars you don't need to be pushing too hard! It does vary from engine to engine, but it's simply a cost benefit issue. It is a fairly expensive option!

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

AFAIK you can still get the Caterham dry sump with "aftermarket" tank at a discounted rate compared to the integral tank bellhousing.

May not look as tidy as the "correct" installation but at least as good!

/r