Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham-Vauxhall 2.0 16V

Andrew Russell

200+bhp XE engined car, built by Authorised Service Agent for me in 1995, to my specification. One owner from then! Polished aluminium and Vauxhall Atlantis Blue. Cycle wings. Engine built by Bob Jones (B+J Motors) Omega pistons, Kent cams, 45 DCOE's, MBE 912V2 ignition, etc. 5 speed De Dion with LSD. Front AP4 pots and big discs. Up rated master cylinder. 13inch Superlites and good A021R's....3 virtually new. FIA bar and Petty strut. Full Hi-viz weather equipment, including boot cover and tonneau. Black leather adjustable seats. 6 and 4 point harnesses. Q/R Spa-Alpha wheel and Momo ali gear knob. Elliott rev counter. Cibie z180's. Flush alloy fuel filler.

Car has been maintained to a high standard and is little used.

Never raced! Couple of Club sprints/hillclimbs only. Never damaged!

A real beauty!

After Seven years of Seven ownership, it seems an apropriate time to change it!

Based in Yorkshire but very convenient to A1(M) so access North and South no problem. Well worth the trip!!

Can e mail photos if interested.

Andrew

Home: 01423.331104

Work: 01904.610886

Mobile: 07884.311330

'e'mail: amrussell@lineone.net

£12,000.00

Car now very unexpectedly available again.....same price, same bargain, despite the above comments.

I believe that this is a very realistic valuation for a quick sale. I don't think you will find a better spec for the price!

Call me on the numbers shown above to discuss.

Andrew

Andrew,

I think it might be a good idea to point out that the car is in fact a 1990 chassis which pre-dates the Vauxhall HPC by 2 years, and that the VX engine installation is a conversion from the originally fitted engine type. It is for this reason that it is £12k not £15k+

Sure its a lot of car for the money in terms of spec, but any prospective purchaser would need to have an undertanding that it does contain some non-standard parts which could require some engineering skill should they become unavailable in the future.

All said, good luck selling it, I am sure that at £12k it will still go pretty quickly.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie

Thanks for your input.

The car is not advertised as an HPC and I have never descibed it as such. The car is built on an early Vauxhall race car chassis and is exactly as described in the script above. That is why it is valued as it is and perhaps as I know the car better than you, I have a better idea as to its value.

The car is NOT a conversion as you say and I should be obliged if you would speak to me before posting on a subject upon which you have no knowledge.

The chassis was supplied to me by an authorised Caterham Service Agent who ran a fleet of Caterham Vauxhall race cars very successfully in the early 90's and this was a spare chassis that he had. It was built up for me as a road car and is in its original specification.

It is still a super car, well specced and very well priced.

Andrew

Andrew,

You have now completely contradicted yourself in saying:

"The car is not advertised as an HPC and I have never descibed it as such. The car is built on an early Vauxhall race car chassis "

If you can show anyone on this forum a 1990 manufactured VX race chassis then we shall all be amazed as the VX race cars were not introduced until the end of the 1991 season.

Your chassis has AM 90 stamped on the rear suspension turrett which indicates it was built by Arch in 1990, long before they ever produced any form of VX chassis.

It seems you are likley confused as to the original identity of your chassis.

I do not however suggest that the car is not a super car, well specced and very well priced as you state. It just isn't a factory Vauxhall chassis and it has a few non std parts.

Fat Arn

I have not contradicted myself.

The Caterham Vauxhall HPC road car was produced after the first season or two of the race car series, as far as I am aware. The first road HPC were announced in 1992, whilst the first race series for Vauxhall engined cars was in 1991.

Andrew

Just popped into Dillons at lunch time and looked at Chris Rees book on the history of the Seven......

'August 1990, Caterham show the 'Harlequin' Vauxhall Race car to the press.........'

'Magnus Laird wins the inaugural Caterham Vauxhall Challenge in 1991....'

I presume that if race teams were to have to build and test their cars prior to the start of the 1991 season, then the chassis would have to have been made available prior to then, thus a 1990 Arch stamp is quite appropriate.

My car is as I describe it above; q.e.d.

Andrew.

Edited by - andrew russell on 17 Apr 2002 14:26:21

Edited by - andrew russell on 17 Apr 2002 17:06:49

I should like to make one further correction to the FACTS in this thread. I suggested above that the road version of the Caterham Vauxhall was introduced in or about 1992. This is incorrect! I looked at the 'Gold Portfolio' book of Caterham Seven Road Tests last night.

This book includes an Autocar roadtest of a road going Caterham Vauxhall HPC originally published in August 1990!!!!

There is also a track test of a race car in Car and Car Conversions originally published in February 1991.

QED

Andrew

Get off Andrew, Your initial ad is misleading, and the goods are not as described. You imply its a 1995 car. Put simply its not, its 1990.

Do weneed go further? If you have any sense you will realise that had you not continued to contribute to this thread, you would not have decreased the chances of selling this car to anyone who reads it.

Its not a works VX race chassis, nor is it an HPC, at best its a prototype.

The first VX HPC car now belongs to Geoff Johnson and was registered in 1992 and was Andy Nobles personal car. I watched this car being built at the factory alongside my first Seven.

The VX race series first ran in 1991.

Fat Arn

Edited by - fat arnie on 19 Apr 2002 17:04:18

This issue perhaps hinges on whether the owner can legitimately claim that he has a Vx race chassis. For the record what was/is special about this chassis.

For what it's worth I can see nothing wrong with the original advert and I would expect this and indeed any other Caterham to have non standard parts mine certainly has and so has yours Arnie, that for me is part of the seven experience, knowing that your car is a little bit diferent from everyone elses.

As far as the age of the car is concerned this is something that is difficult to pin down on many seven's and I don't think they're any the worse for it. A chassis manufactured in say 1990 may not be built into a complete car until '91. Some cars with 1990 chassis have more new parts than those registered last year. Some might say that a particular vintage of chassis is better than a new one as they've become more flexible over the years. And so it goes...

It's possible to knit-pick most adverts but I can't see much wrong with this ad there's far more deception out there in Caterham land than this. And anyway people in glass houses Arnie!

My initial reaction was that this was an HPC that was seriously underpriced. That rang alarm bells with me - but I've got an HPC. In the ignorant state that I was in 3 years ago pre my purchase I might have been mislead by the omissions (No suggestion that there have been deliberate untruths). I think Arnie has been fairly even handed (For him) - He's not suggested that the car is anything other than a good one & has just pointed out that the ad could have been more frank about the history.

I think you rather missed the point Gary.

It still looks like a bloody good car for the money.