Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"My brakes are pulling a bit Dad"

Tight fart

😳 eek!

To be fair this is more easily done than you think. A friend's wife did something similar to the fronf disc on a Pug 205 when doing nothing very dramatic on the way home. She was in town and braked normally to a stop. She heard a "clunk" and carried on, complaining that "there was this clunk, nothing seems to have fallen off but the brakes aren't very good now". He used to work in the trade and had seen a few in a similar state.

Needless to say he still took the opportinity to have a good laugh at her expense. *tongue*

Unless you are doing intergalactic mileage I'm surprised Mr MOT man didn't at least warn of lipped discs last time around. Plus Mr Tyre man is usually very keen to point out in the hope of more work...

The days of several pad changes to a disc are long gone with the current crop of disc eating asbestos free pads.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

I have seen this before I was once in a QF garage, when my former next-door neighbour, Tom Farmer was Chairman. A young lady brought in a sports car, saying, "there is vibration when I brake. My boy-friend has just fitted new brake pads ☹️

She waited in the office. I watched while a small group, rapidly expanding to most of the staff, gathered round the car. Front wheel off, light tap with a leather-faced hammer, disc in several bits on the floor *eek* *redface* The same happened with the other front wheel. The staff were very kind and patient, breaking the news to the YL that she could have been killed within the next few minutes on the adjacent M4.

I find that a bit odd. I am not saying it could not happen.

The tyre/wheel should take the load and pass to the hub, without flexing the brake disc (in theory) unless the wheel bent so much it contacted the caliper *confused* or the discs were pretty much dead anyway.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Hmm, that is quite a score. Perhaps a bit of driver training is called for 😳. There really shouldn't be any more than the odd scuff on a rim after 6 months or so.

Are you going to tell her *eek* *eek* 😬

Perhaps this is why all the yummy mummies drive Chelsea Tractors, at least that way you can bounce it up the kerb at 15mph while parking in your haste to get to Harvey Nicks *biggrin*

My brother has a Toyota Land Cruiser and he asked me to look at the rear brakes as they did not feel the same.

What brakes I asked, where are the pads?

He had worn through the pads, the calliper, the calliper piston and scored the disc to near braking point on both sides of the car, he had not heard or felt anything apparently.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR