Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Rack "Boots"

anon7

The steering rack Boots on my '97 de-Dion car have, putting it mildly, seen better days.

Could anyone tell me what they're from or even better a part number for them?

Cheers

Shaggers

It`s not yours,it`s.............

R7 NOW Well actually it's not ours anymore, it's MINE

Handed ? *eek*

You live and learn.....

Don't think I'll be able to make Stoneleigh due to a year full of other commitments. But if I can free up the time, who knows?

Nice to hear from ya Nick, sure we'll catch up again sometime.

Are drive shaft boots as easy ? *rolleyes*

Shaggers

It`s not yours,it`s.............

R7 NOW Well actually it's not ours anymore, it's MINE

Yes as long as you remember they are handed - one is bigger than the other, plenty of lube helped *eek* *redface*

I know someone is going make a Swiss Tony remark "Changing a steering rack boot is a lot like making love to etc *wink*

Its Yellow And Black and Makes me 😬here

• Area Representative

Did this last weekend on the 'Bird.

Undo the trackrod end and use a ball joint spiltter to separate the joint.

Jack the car, remove wheel for better access and to allow the hub to move easily to one side Undo the lock securing the trackrod end to the steering rack. Count the number of turns you wind the trackrod end off the steering rack arm to save you having the tracking reset back up after the event! Remove the locking nut too.

Snip the two cable ties on either end of the old gaiter and pull it off the rack.

Re-assemble in the reverse order.

It might help to smear a little bit of grease on the gaiter inside faces to help it slide along the rack arm. It may also help to roll the large end of the gaiter back on itself prior to putting on the car to help it roll over the steering rack mount.

Whole job shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes unless you have problem getting the trackrod ball joint spilt.

HTH

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Edited by - Nick Chan on 31 Mar 2007 10:07:25

• 1 year later...

But buy another spare set now - you'll be spotting the same tell-tale cracks in the new ones this time next year . . .

I've never had a car where I've fitted so many replacement rubber parts!

I've got a feeling the boots are similar to Talbot Sunbeam ones - but as that isn't exactly a current production car, decent quality spares might be "interesting" to get hold of, so would probably suffer the same problems.

Bri