Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to buy 3 pin plug and socket......

Ivaan

for my BB shift lights.

I want to mount a small socket in the dash, so that the shift lights can be plugged/unplugged.

This pm, I've tried wiring through a stereo audio jack and socket, but lights won't work this way ( may not be good enough contact ). I've tried all my local motor factors, audio and electric shops, but no luck. Surely such a thing is made.

Any suggestions?

I'm a little surprised that a stereo jack didn't work. Shiftlights won't take a lot of current and I wouldn't have thought the tacho signal would be that critical. Audio connectors might have switching contacts or you might have mixed up the connections.

Hope you get it fixed. *wink* *thumbup*

cheers,

Darren.

I'm surprised it didn't work as well *confused* The cable is shielded, although the shielding wasn't connected to anything at the car end, and works well enough.

I suspect you got a dry joint / short / messed the connections up

Do you know the unit works at all?

Did the lights come on with ignition? If so, the power and ground were OK, so the problem must be with the tacho signal.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 11000 miles completed!

If you are going to mount it in the dash it needs to be a socket not a plug as it will have 12V on it when the ignition is switched on. I thought about using an in-line connector (from Maplin) and have the socket end under the dash as part of the loom. (not keen on cutting additional holes in the dash!)

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset

bear in mind that a stereo jack is designed for low level eg headphone outputs, and the jack *can* briefly connect to the wrong socket pins - ie as you push the plug in, the plug connections 1 & 2 ie tip and next one briefly connect to socket pins 2 & 3. In a headphone this isn't a problem, in your application one of the connections is 12v...

I'd advise against using a jack for this reason, there are other alternatives eg mini-din, although if you wire the 12v as the last to be connected ie the plug tip you should be ok

Martin

Aero'd Roadsports B with a garage slowly filling up with upgrade parts

Thanks for your replies.

The shift lights do work direct across the battery, but not through the jack.

However, Maplins look like they've got what I'm after *thumbup*.

By fitting a plug/socket arrangement in the dash, I can keep the visible lead short and neat whilst mounting the lights on the scuttle. I prefer to drill the dash rather than the scuttle. I'll also be able to remove the lights when not in use.

Blatchat to the rescue again 😬

1.6K SS BRG/Yellow Stripe