Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Military spec toggle switch

Pierre Gillet

I find this toggle switch to be very attractive (because it is red !), and contemplate using it by the side of the red starter button, for ignition purpose.

I would prefer it to the red aircraft safety switch because I am concerned this could be shut down inadvertently.

Two questions though:

1) would it meet the spec (Amper rating) ?

2) Is it reasonably waterproof (I am running an aeroscreen) ?

here

Pierre

I use a lock toggle switch for my ignition. I could look up the P/N when I get home - ISTR it didn't cost quite that much although not cheap *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Got mine direct from Aerco here in 2003 and it cost £38.19 inclusive of VAT and P&P.

P/N: 1TL1-2D "Switch Toggle - Locked out of centre position"

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Thanks a lot.

I have a few more questions Gents.

From the spec given by Aerco it seems to me that it is fully waterproof but is not a high-Amper switch *confused* and therefore could not be used as ignition switch on a 12 V circuit *confused*

It is not clear to me whether Aerco sell direct *confused*

What would happen if during a ride the ignition switch was turned down ?

@ Nick, whom did you get the side repeaters on the head lamps of your Seven from ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 8 Feb 2007 09:13:15

All the ingnition switch does is pull-in a relay. Mine works fine.

I bought mine from Aerco direct.

The whole purpose of a locking toggle switch is that it is HIGHLY unlikely to be activated by accident - it can't be moved without first pulling it out and it has a good spring to overcome 😬

Tony, when ignition is on, am I correct to think that the red cap is up and easy to be flipped down *confused*

What would happen if the driver or the passenger inadvertently turned down the ignition ? The engine would probably still run but would this incident damage the electrickery?

Can you confirm that the standard CC key switch triggers a relay at ignition ?

Cheers,

Pierre

I think perhaps I don't understand properly. I thought you were talking about a locking toggle switch, as illustrated on the Demon Tweeks web page you have in your first post.

You now seem to be discussing a guarded toggle switch - one with a flip-up guard.

These are two completely different items.

The gaurded switch is prevented from moving with the flip cover down - usually the OFF position. To make the circuit to which it is connected live, you flip the cover up and move the toggle switch it is guarding. The cover is spring loaded in the up position, but can be snapped into the down position with the flip of a finger; it will move the toggle switch to open the circuit as it closes.

A locking toggle switch has no guard - it is prevented from inadvertant movement by having spring loaded detents which must be physically overcome by a definite action by the operator.

Tony, you are correct.

When you referred to your locking togggle switch, I understood guarded switch because I did not even know that locking toggle exist. Sorry for that 😳

I am more interested in locking toggle switch rather than guard switch for the reason given above.

So, back to locking toggle switch. I would like it red to match my starter push button (some space is available on the right ) and would like it reasonably waterproof and a direct replacement to the CC standard ignition key switch *confused*

I would assume that the Demon Tweeks one is indeed a locking toggle given the shape of the little red lever which seems designed to provide grip to pull it.

What do you think Tony ?

here

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 8 Feb 2007 14:27:04