Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting a f**king Ford

Paul Thompson

I'll start by saying that I don't know the basic differences between a Pre-XFlow and a XFlow, but the procedure for starting my 1800cc X/F on twin 40's from cold is:

Elecric pump on (mine's seperately switched - yours may simply go through the ignition)

Wait for the pump to settle to a steady beat

10-12 full depressions of the throttle

Stay off the pedal and turn over the engine

Mine will fire first time like this - then catch the engine on the throttle and hold it at c.1,200-1,500rpm whilst warming (no choke on my carbs.)

Don't know if this will work for you but might be worth giving a try. Good luck!

Pierson

Ah, the joys of a Ford. Mine's an xflow, but the principle should be the same, as it's over stimulating the carbs that cause the flooding. Starting an xflow is a very personal thing; everyone's got a different technique, but most include a little pedal pumping while making sure you don't flood the blighter. If you've no electric pump, this technique has worked for every xflow Ford I've had, including the seven;

1. Check you have petrol

2. Turn the engine over, for no more than a few seconds, but don't depress loud pedal. Primes the carb float chambers with petrol.

3. Quickly pump the loud pedal 3 or 4 times; squirts neat petrol into the intake.

4. Crank with foot OFF the loud pedal for a second, then lightly press to 1/3-1/2 throttle (don't stamp on it, that just squirts lots more fuel), keep cranking for a second or two.

It'll should start to catch & fire on 4. Gently blip the pedal as it catches, and hold the revs up. If it doesn't fire, leave it a bit and start from 4 again. Otherwise you'll flood it.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

erm, easy to flood carbs like that! 😳

try a couple of blips of throttle, then start by flooring throttle (no stamping and no nothing) as you crank it, easing off to keep engine around 1200rpm

Are the carbs jetted correctly?

Antonella

1998 Classic 1.6 Vx

erm, easy to flood carbs like that! 😳

As has been said above, each to their own, I guess - this works for my engine and ensures a consistent method of starting. Any less and my carbs simply don't get enough fuel to allow the engine to fire, let alone flood.

Pierson

Mechnical or electric fuel pump? Either way depending on how long the car has stood the float chambers have to be filled, obvious really but can be quite a time with mechanical and of course weakens the battery. If mechnical no need to pump the throttle better to keep foot off. Once you have weighed up how much you need for filling the chambers stop turning the engine, unfortunately this can only be down to experience. If electrical wait till pump changes note. Then 2 or 3 pumps and then take your foot off the throttle. Try starting with foot off throttle and only press down once engine is turning well or catches. ( Hondas are easier ? 😬 )

Paul,

I have similar challenges with my VX1.6. During the summer when I use it once a week, 4 presses of the throttle, turn it over and it fires on the button.

If I don't use is for a month or two during the winter months, it seems considerably more tricky to catch and keep ticking over. Usually takes 4 or 5 attempts to nurse it into life.

I'm thankful I have a battery conditioner to give the amps to turn it over a few times.