Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vecta Immobiliser!!!????

Robert Mead

Can anyone shed any light on Vecta Immobilisers, I have charged the battery on my 92 super sprint over xmas, and on re-connection she wont spark. Just wondered if there was a certain ceremony you had to do to get the old girl fired up, I tried stroking her but it didnt work. Any info much appreciated Rob.

Hi

Vecta immobilisers are pretty simple things.. no programming or fancy on/off stuff to teach it.

If the LED isn't doing anything then either; itsn't getting any power, the earth is disonnected, or it is dead.

There seems to be a bit of a history of these falling off the perch (Mine is still OK after 12 years thankfully). When they die you have to strip back the loom and follow the black wires and re connect the circuits that have been immobilised (Usually up to three - ignition, fuel pump and starter solenoid).

Messy and not fun, sorry.

Good luck

One of the Duratectives

Me too, I bypassed the one on my old car and stripped it out, eventually deciding that an FIA battery switch and removable steering wheel was probably a better anti theft device anyhow. To be honest with a X/Flow on standard ignition, it is so easy to hotwire and bypass the immobiliser I'm not too sure it is that valuable as an anti theft device so I would look at other means if I were you.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

As far as I know, the Vecta is wired into three circuits, fuel pump, ignition and starter solenoid. One of them but not sure which, as well as being open circuit when the immobilser is activated, also shunts the connection to chassis. The idea is to blow the fuse if a thief tries to hotwire slowing him down even further.

It sounds as though you're cranking ok. If the fuel pump is running as well its only the ignition circuit that can be blamed on the Vecta. I would try your fuses and all connections and see if there's 12V on the coil before ripping it all out. You could do so and still find you have a problem if it wasn't the Vecta in the first place. You can still rip it out afterwards if you decide you don't want it any more.

Thanks to everyone that gave me useful tips on the immobiliser, armed with this knowledge, I will get my circuit tester out and have a play. This is the first time I have used this website for info and its great to know that there are petrol head caterham fans out there willing to share their knowledge and experiences, thanks again. Rob.