Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine oil

rob spencer

I'd use cheap and nasty bog standard oil for the first 500 miles and then change to a fully synthetic.

The Caterham recommended fluids are all listed in the owners manual and some are also listed in the build manual istr.

In any case, depends on the engine but Mobil 1 won't do it any harm after running in, MotorSport variant if you are happy to spend the extra.

Just about all oil is of the same "quality". This issue just goes back about 30 years when quality used to vary from make to make. Remeber, the old Castrol/Duchams wars? Well they are made in the same place by the same people!

If it's a synthetic 0/40, it doesn't matter which make you get as it'll all be much the same (there are regulations to comply to). So Comma or Mobil will be very similar, just one cost more. However, only Mobil make a synthetic 15/50, which will probably give the best protection to a hot engine. If your engine isn't going to pushed so hard, save ya money and get the comma 0/40.

Didn't know about Comma making oil for Halfords, but since Halfords are my family's arch enemy, I say but it somewhere else. wink.gif

Edited by - buroz on 15 Mar 2002 12:50:32

The disclosure that Halfords synthetic is made by Comma was made by Len Unwin so I think you can be pretty certain that is the case. Mind you I still can't quite bring myself to accept that the Halfords stuff is exactly the same so continue to buy the overpriced Mobil 1.

I must be an 'Ad Mans Dream'!

Show me a glitzy ad' and I'm sold.

Brent teeth.gif

Andrew,

Comma girls definitely do it for me, but I find that I just can't get so excited by the Halfords brand.

I keep on getting this mental image of a spotty faced youth saying to me, "If you can't see it on the shelf, we ain't got it".

'Fraid that just doesn't have quite the same appeal!

Brent

ref the comment from the COUNT

really cheap oil as in under a fiver 20w/50 oil does not contain any aditives and burns as soon as engine is nearly up to temp and deposits crap in the sump etc.

quality 20w/50 oil now retails around the £11 as it is not so commonly used now but this contains the stuff required to keep it clean at the same time.