Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Voltage & Tickover

Ian Barkley

Is there a relationship between battery voltage and tickover on the K series? My 7 has had a very variable tickover for a while, sometimes working OK, others stalling at every opportunity unless duditious heel & toeing was used to keep the engine revving.

I had to fit a new battery and it started ticking over perfectly! One exception only when I had been stuck in stop/go traffic for a considerable time, immediately prior to parking for the day, when I set off for home [presumably the battery was a bit low on charge] the lumpy tickover returned until I got on the open road for half an hour - charging the battery - then running sweetly again...

Ian

Indirectly yes there is The IACV [idle Air Control Valve ] is an electrically operated device [stepper Motor] and it is required to step open at idle. It might be worthwile coulping up a digatal Volt Meter and leave it on passanger seat and watch what is happening at those times It may be that your alternator is not putting out enough charge at low revs and if battery is not fully charged [ as on a blat] you may be seeing a problem. Or your IACV could be on the way out. Try a Voltage check first and get back to the forum.

jj

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

The IACV is at the Throttle body on the end of the Plenum and you wont be able to get a set of AVO probes anywhere near it *confused* just stick a set of clips on the probes clip the black wire to an chassis point near the fuse box [underdash] and the red one to any white wire under dash All were trying to see is if at trawling speeds your voltage is low it can be hard to read an anaologe meter on move but if you gaffer a cheap digi to the dash it can reveal an awfull lot about the cars electrical health *thumbup*

Iam fortunate in that one of my twin SPA guages is a Dig Volt meter [handy piece of kit far more usefull than an Amp meter].

jj

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.