Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff Noises/ coloured oil

wild bill

My LSD has always been a bit noisy compared to other RWD cars i have had (apart from a 67 MGB roadster when i was a lad) and i am well aware that TADTS however earlier in the year i changed the diff oil and noticed that the old oil was silvery in colour. I don't think the previous owner had ever changed it as while a lovely chap, he was not exactly sympathetic to a cars wants and needs 😬 and actually the diff was fitted only a year prior to my purchase (so 3 years old now)

I thought maybe a diff rebuild was worthwhile but as i hate tinkerin when i could be driving it would only be if necessary, what does the cognoscenti think. Oh and if anyone tells me my HG is about to go, the car is going to blow up, that i should take it off the road immediately or any other ridiculous scaremongering i'll thump em *tongue* decent advice only please

(Now watch as No one responds to the post which is the usual 😳)

If the old oil had a kind of silvery sheen, that is pefectly normal with any new piece of machinery as the components become lapped in so the colour of oil isn't necessarily indicative of the quality or type used. What you are seeing in the silvery sheen is microscopic pieces of the metal components as they 'wear in'.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 10 Oct 2006 11:36:04