Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can you get a 7 through the front door?

Ian Barkley

I am taking delivery of a kit form Academy 7 on Friday and as I have no garage I need to store the chassis for a short time in the house. Could some kind soul measure their Caterham chassis across the widest point [but without the wheels, mudguards and suspension] for me please?

I have a double door into the kitchen which would give one metre of clearance which I am hoping is enough! If it fits I can keep it safe and warm next to the Aga for a week!

I have managed to get dispensation from my partner for this but the engine, gearbox, wheels and other parts will have to be stored along the hall, in the cold.

Thanks

Ian B

Thanks guys

Regin -

thanks but I’m not sure that Wendy is strong enough to flip her end of the chassis as she carries it through the doorway.

Chrisd -

thanks for the offer of space but it is only a very temporary problem as the body will be going for painting very soon, and I live near Newark. Thanks anyway

Wag -

who is the IC?

Darren -

1) unfortunately I am not going to build the car in the kitchen as I will not be able to drive it out

2) yes!

Back to the origional question - how wide is the body?

Ian B

Ian,

I have sent you an email with a cut of an old Lotus Seven drawing. From that one I'd say no if your door is excatly 1m wide.

By the way, if your end flips and Wendys doesn't, what happens then? confused.gif

/regin

Edited by - rj on 3 Mar 2002 10:52:15

Not much help Ian, but as a lad a mate of my Dads restored a car in his living room. He brought each piece inside as it was ready to be put back together.

The house had some nice new patio doors installed when the car was ready for the road again.

Still makes me smile when I think about it ... Oh and hes still married to the same girl.

Andy

Edited by - andy best on 4 Mar 2002 18:35:40