Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear and front lights ledification

Pierre Gillet

Humm, I just completed the ledification of the rear lights of my Seven. You can see the work done by my mate JeanEd here.

I did not use the flasher unit displayed here but used a special LED flasher unit sold by Ultraleds. It works well except that there is no more buzzer, but I do not care very much.

Now if I try to ledify also the front indicators, then if I turn on the right indicators, the left ones also blink, weakly though.

Any clue please?

Pierre

Pierre

Firstly congratulations on doing while I have been talking *thumbup* 🙆🏻

If I recall the ultraLED flasher is for 100% LED only. (one of the LED Flasher manufacturers) states "one but only one standard bulb can be used or damage will occour"

if for example you had side repeaters you would be trying to run two standard bulbs - this may break the flasher or cause the problem described but is more likely to be an incorrect earth.

My concern with the use of resistors as current limiter for the indicators is the variable voltage. As the voltage is spread over several LEDs the voltage change is minimised but you need the indictors to work while the engine is running 14.4v but you need them most when you are broke down *eek* with the hazards on and the engine stopped with less than 12.6v.

(in this case your flasher would definately be under too much load.)

I have just got some current limiters for this reason to go with some 14000mcd red LEDs.

I have the fog light already installed with a 3Watt luxeon LED @1amp. I have mounted it in the reflector in the main light unit. Those who saw it at the Wotton Hatch did admit it was bright. *thumbup*

I will be trying to put a 5Watt white into my dive torch this weekend. 😬

Nick

Dohnut, many thanks *smile*

In fact my mate made the lights and I just inserted them into the plastic shells.

A piccie here

Also , I have the data sheet of the Electronic LED flasher FL-50, a new product, if you are interested by email.

It says :

1. LED Indicator Bulbs only

2. Incandescent Indicator Bulbs Only

3. Mixture of both LED's and Incandescent Indicator bulbs

In fact, with only the rear lights ledified, everything works fine.

Since I made it for the look of it and for the reduced turn on time of the brake lights, I am satisfied.

Ledified front repeaters would not add any thing in terms of look or obviously brake lights turn on time. But since I have bought them I am interested to see if I can use them.

Would not a problem due to bad earth occur also with the original arrangement of incandescent bulbs ?

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 28 Sep 2006 18:01:02

Pierre

If you have a minor earthing problem that allows only a few milliamps to flow that may be enough to light an LED dimly but would not show up on a standard bulb.

One benifit you might find from using LED at the front indicators is the short turn off/ turn on time which I find attracts my attention much more - but that is personal choice. *smile*

But the installed lights look good *thumbup*

Nick

For Nicks LED you need to go to

'www.marine_laser_sights_r_us.com' 😬

Never, ever follow Nick on a foggy day (although thats a different story 😳)

Sorry - not helping! Rear lights look really good Pierre *thumbup* and well done for both of you persevering with the development *thumbup*

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

96,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Angus & Tessa, many thanks.

Lazer Brain, many thanks, and no I have done nothing except some silicone in the wing hole. I plan to use some 'thermo glue' at the back of the circuits. I did not do it first hand because i wanted to be sure that everything works OK since glue would prevent any soldering re-work.

Simon, mines do not weigh that much since the rubber thingies have been replaced by ali ones. The circuits are poped on bushes : sandwiches of 2 ali plates and silicone, so not wood blocks as on the web site. I was tempted by the Kumschick look, but would have had to replace the wings because of the existing larges holes (the Kumschick lights are lower down the wing).

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 29 Sep 2006 14:35:27

• 3 months later...