Click here if you are having website access problems ×

average life of a caterham engine

eric

For racing purposes I've found it to be the most reliable oil capable of withstanding extreme valvetrain/rpm loadings, eventhough it's relatively cheap and needs to be changed quite frequently due to its lack of detergents etc.

It's like any good product/part you use based upon your own and others experiences.

When my 1700 Supersprint reached 42000 miles from new, I took it to Roger King for a precautionary rebuild. It was still in very good shape. After Roger's ministrations I ran it until about 63000 (from memory) when we upgraded to a more modern model. The engine was still pulling like a train. It had done a number of track days, but no racing. Put it down to good oil and a rev limiter set at 6000 rpm.

Dave,

On Swindons advice 9500rpm is safe.

Anyway, after this weekend my VX16V will be unlikely to miss any gears (which is what causes the realy high 11,000 rpm peaks) As phase 1 of the Curborough preparations take place........

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 28 Feb 2002 12:59:07

The R500 warrenty work involves replacing the main bearings with a better specification. The originals were not up to the job, and gave the early cars their reputation for needing rebuilds if used hard. It was these bearings that cause Fat Arn the trouble too, ISTR.

My R500 - 3,750 miles, half on track, no problems, no sign of wear. Main bearings upgraded under warrenty at 3,500 miles - originals showed no signs of wear

It's the big-ends (rod bearings) that gave the trouble on both the R500 and Arnies beastie and for the same reason, material specification. Both were using reticular tin type bearings, these are not tough enough for the sustained high rod loadings in the R500 or Arnies engine. Both were eventually replaced with VP2 Lead-indium bearings which are much more durable. With the R500 Lead-Indium bearings were not available at the time of the original spec. and build, in Arnie's case the wrong ones were doled out by a particular supplier. Interestingly enough Rover themselves now produce a higher spec. big-end shell for the 1.8K which is much better able to withstand the loadings at higher RPM, these are now common to all 1.8K engines produced and are also the standard bearing supplied as spare parts.

Oily

Yes, one of the first ones I looked at. But as I was really looking for a tourer the gearbox put me off. That and the noise the gearbox made. I thought the car was interesting and the owner had some good ideas re the dash and switch gear just a shame that none of his little projects were completed.

An excelelnt precis Oily, except I used GM Lead Indium bearings in the rebuild. Intersteingly Swindon did lots of testing, and part of my "expert" evidence against the duff bearing supplier is a report following tests of reticular tin bearings in Swindons Dyno Cell. 1 hours use at speeds up to 8500rpm shows significant degradation to the bearing surface.

If anyu of you out there are building an 8200rpm+ engine, be sure you do not use reticular tin bearings. otherwise it will likely end in tears!

Geoff,

The dash is a splattering of odd instruments, under the bonnet is clean, but the rest of the car is tatty. It needs a respray, new wings nose and bonnet, and the engine mods to date are crying out for a set of TB's which should give it a healthy 230bhp. I think John would sell the car with the 5 speed box I am installing in place of the seq. for £11500 - £12000 - £3k spent would give you a TB injection looking car in any colour you like! A bargain I'd say, but some TLC and effort would be required.

In my car I think the box will be quite quiet!!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>