Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre rack causing overheating

Graeme Smith

I've had a tyre rack fitted to my PRG trailer - used it for the first time at the weekend, with 5 tyres on, and the Audi towcar starts overheating. It seems to be speed related, i.e. it happens travel at "just over" 60mph but not stood in traffic. Turning off the aircon, keeping the speed down and turning the heater to "very hot" and directing it out of the window when going up hills keeps it at bay... Anyone else had this problem? What could I do to beef up the cooling of an Audi A3 turbo?

Don't think I would be looking at improving the Audi cooling but more at how could I make the trailer/tyre rack more aerodynamic. After all it looks as if this is the source of the problem esp given you say it's speed related, you're giving the engine more work than it was designed to do.

Hmmm, I would be worried about your cooling on the car being rather marginal! As standard it should have no problems I would have thought. Is it potentially blocked up or deficient in some way? By default I think UK VAG cars have large capacity "towing" cooling systems, and a caravan is a lot less aerodynamic I would say.

Having said that, I've thought about lowering my tyre rack. Driving without tyres on it gives another 3mpg, and there's definitely space to lower it above the nose of the car.

We towed my racecar behind my wife's GT TDi Golf last week using a 14' PRG Sport trailer with 3/4 full high level tyre rack with no problems, in fact it barely noticed the trailer *thumbup* 😬

I'd be surprised if just adding a tyre rack caused the overheating *confused* could it be there's an underlying problem on the Audi that the extra weight/drag has highlighted? maybe the water pump is on its way out/blocked rad etc etc

I ran my rack for the first time recently fully loaded with 4 wheels & tyres including a transport box for fuel and odds and sods. I was surprised that it kniocked about 5mpg off of the normal trailer cruising 'economy' *wink* with the seven on. I guess it acts more like an airbrake than I had anticipated

I suspect your cooling system (and I'm an expert now if you've seen my other threads last couple days!).

Some years ago I towed a boat (1 tonne of) with my Rangerover and it was perfect in the UK, including mountains (UK style mountains).

Then I went to lake Garda in Italy with it and like hannibal, had to cross the Alps. Well, we overheated over and over again. To cut a looong sorry story short after many "diagnoses" it was the radiator that was 1/3 blocked. SO it worked just fine in UK, but with more strain the weakness manifested as overheating. Like other replies are saying, their cars tow fine with no cooling probs.

I suspect your cooling system - did I say that? *biggrin*

Anthony, not your average gypsy.

5mpg is a lot for 4 tyres!

I get about 28mpg with no tyres and 24mpg with 10 tyres (full). This is 70mph cruise, 535d.

I now put as many tyres in the car as possible, but I think lowering the rack below the car roof heigh will help quite a lot.

Check the fans and the heavy duty fuses that are in the seperate fuse holder in the engine bay. I had a similar issue with a Cupra, same engine. Turned out the 2 fans are supposed to be a matched pair but over time one had developed a higher resistance. This was causing its fuse to blow and not enabling the final stage to kick in when needed causing overheating. To fix the dealer wanted IRO £650 to replace both fans assemblies, fuse holder and the labour to change which included taking off the front bumper *eek*

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.