Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Rack on '92 chassis - do I need shims?

djmhall

I have my car back from Arch and TSK and I still cannot get over how great it looks and what an amazing job Bruce and Tony have done - Now starts the fun bit of putting all together again.

I brought myself a 22% rack from CC and have been wondering about the issue of bump steer which seems to have been discussed quite a bit on Blatchat recently.

In an ideal world, somebody would have already done the hard work and would know what shims if any are needed to put the current 22% rack (standard track) on a 92 chassis car?

I can't be the first can I???

1400 SS 6spd currently being rebuilt after 10 years loving neglect.

Dominic, I'm not an expert but you want the track rod arms as near as horizontal between rack bellow and track rod end. Some I've seen have the track rod's pointing up or down so when the suspension goes up the track rod length changes and the wheel steers.

Is that of any use?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

22% *smile*

I know I will have to tread a bit carefully to get used to it at first, but I couldn't resist it.

Having briefly driven a pre-war Frazer Nash, nothing by way of quick rack these days compares with that experience

Disagree with the above. I have 22% rack on '92 chassis, having just done a bump steer measuring session I't looks as if I have to lower the rack.

It is absolutely worthwhile doing the measurements as outline in Paul Deslandes Low Flying article, there is a sweet spot and even 1mm off makes a big difference.

Edited to add if you want any shims I have a pile made up that it looks as if I won't need now.

Edited by - Foxy Smith on 19 Aug 2006 09:48:30

Thanks for the offer Foxy - I may well take you up on that.

Looks like there is no "correct" answer so I will have to beg/borrrow/TWOC a bump-steer guage when I get to that stage. Since I have a bare chassis at the moment, I'll pop in the rack as is using the new clamps and revisit the issue when I get to rolling chassis stage.

Thanks all.