Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BGH gear crunching - hydraulic clutch problem?

Ben Willis

Having hardly asked any questions in 6 years of being registered 😳 I thought I would try my luck with 2 in one evening...

My BGH box has just been back for a rebuild (apparently it didn't really need one). Now, when I do fast gear changes, esp at high revs, I crunch the gears. Always when going 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th and sometimes going 2nd-3rd (presumable cause this takes a bit longer).

Surely this can't be the box if it is happening on most/all gears? Or this there something in there that could cause this? I have a hydraulic clutch and wonder if that might be the problem. I have been told they can be a pain to bleed, especially with easibleed as the pressure just pushes the fluid straight to the bleed nipple without touching air caught in the bearing. I have bled a 500ml with easibleed and got no air out at all. With manual bleeding I got a tiny amount out I think, but put a litre through and it is not really any better. It seemed like it was on an initial drive, but now it is as bad as ever.

The clutch pedal has been adjusted to sit higher than before and so press the master cylinder further, but this hasn't helped. Anyone had a problem bleeding a clutch or have any other explanation? I am worried the box really will need rebuilding if this carries on much longer!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Foxy - no, a Duratec.

J&J & StEVEN - I am sure you are right but... it doesn't seem likely to actually be a problem with the gearbox to me and with current time constraints (a new baby & plenty of work) I was hoping to avoid a trip to BGH if it obviously wasn't the box. But if it isn't obvious what is up from the description then BGH it is!

And I just got home to discover the garage and in fact whole house stinks of petrol - it is pouring out around the fuel pump gasket (on my nearly new injection tank) - oh joy, something else to find time to sort! Might get me out of changing a few nappies but I won't be popular *wink*

Thanks for the help

When you've sorted the fuel leak try this.

At tickover (500-900 rpm) gently engage reverese gear without depressing clutch. When you feel/hear gears engaging depress clutch slowly untill lever fully engages reverse gear or doesn't. If you can engage reverse cleanly the clutch is OK as in it is disengaging the drive.

You shouldn't force it into gear just gentle pressure on lever until you feel the gear engaging.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Norman - very useful tip. I tried to feel if the clutch was disengaging properly by just bang through the forward gears with it depressed but couldn't convince myself either way. I was sure there must be a proper technique to establish what is happening - I'll try it (when the fumes have reduced enough to risk starting the thing!). btw, the magic heat reflecting tape you put around my melting crank sensor wire at LM2005 os still going strong - it may be expensive but it is damn good stuff.

Myles - yeah, mine always did too on its previous 2 incarnations, but this time is much (much)worse and not just on 1st-2nd. Even my wife complained when she drove it and she isn't prone to aggresive gear changes (to put it mildly).

Ben

As we have very similar cars with the same engine and BGH gearbox maybe you would like to have a go of mine to see how similar or different they are to each other. I have no problems with either the clutch or the gearbox and have done similar mileage to you. I have probably got a different clutch master cylinder to yours and have messed around with the leverage ratio of the pedal to make the clutch a bit lighter. This might have somthing to do with the fact I am not experiencing the same problems as you.

Feel free to come over if you want.

AMMO

I reported exactly the same to BGH. I took the box out and sent it back where it (specifically the synchro rings) was checked out and pronounced to be OK.

On re-installation I can confirm that the overcheck has made absolutely no bloody difference *mad* and the layshaft chatter has increased considerably from standerd.

I will concede that the gearing is now perfect for the car but why should it not feel as good as the original in use?

Edited by - tom7 on 28 Jun 2006 11:44:35