Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SPA mirrors

andycox

I am thinking of getting some SPA or mirrors of that style. What should I be looking for? Flat or convex? Mounting what's the best solution there seem to be a number of ways out there. I have seen mention of a mounting point between the side screen hinges "without drilling new holes" Is this true? if so where do I get them. Oh, I still need to use the side screens with them fitted.

Is it SUMMER yet? teeth.gif

i'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say spa mirrors, but if you mean the sexy leetle beasties, then go for convex. i've got formula ford mirrors on mine, and they are amazing. tiny, but with great view.

mine are mounted through the mounting of the lower door hinge. the hinges each have two screws holding them to the screen, and the upper screw of the bottom hinge is where the mirror has been mounted.. if you see what i mean.

no drilling, the hinge is still held on by the screw holding the mirror in, and the other untouched screw, and voila' ! you have a cool and easy mirror set-up.

'mail me if you want me to explain further.

cheers,

j

Er! yes, you are correct Jam the sexy ones would be the beasties. I figured that mounting the mirrors there maybe too low, but I guess not.

Casbar, like you I rearly travel without the screens but i am trying to find a solution for when I do remove the side screens.

So its convex then, I thought so!

My mate has his mirrors mounted on the windscreen frame, he put a thread in the upright and screwed them directly to the frame at the correct height.

The downside is, they get in the way of the doors, so you can no longer open them fully.

Is it really that big of an issue getting in when you fit this type of mirror? I figured I could put up with it. I mean the car is not exactly leap in and go, not without practice anyway. OK I think I will get some and the rest will come out in the wash, as they say.

Didn't say it was much of an issue!! You just won't be able to fold your doors all the way forward. A practice which I don't follow anyway.

I put the mirrows on my doors, working on the theory, that if I remove them, I'll do without, and rely on my rear view mirror.

I ran that by plod, and they seemed ok with it.

OK, actually may save some of those small scratches that have appeared on the bonnet over the years.

I guess plod don't care too much especially if you have the centre mirror, also difficult to enforce if the car has no doors. Are there laws about door mirrors on new cars (in general) these days. I remember a time when you could buy a car and it only came with the mirror on the drivers door. Always thought it odd, and cheap.

Andy,

You may be a young and fit practicing contortionist

Should I wimp out and put up the hood, I really do not need to have to use one hand to hold the side screen half open whilst I elegently gain access!

Regards

allen

Andy

I've got some, they are far better than the originals.

I bought them from Demon Tweeks, convex race variety 27.95GBP each plus VAT for the plastic version, CF type were about double in price and not that well finished IMHO.

I took the centre windscreen screw out fitted the mirrors through their top mounting hole with the allen bolt supplied, which seems to fit OK. I was going to drill and tap the pillar for the lower one but wanted to try out the position first without making extra holes, they're so firm I've not got round to finishing the job yet.

Mounting this way means you can:

1)Drive with the doors off and keep the mirrors.

2)Fold the doors and put then in the boot, just incase you get wimpy in winter.

3)Get no vibration in the mirrors and can actually see what’s behind.

Those who know me will confirm I am not supple nor practice yoga and suggest I would be better of with an SV. I can get in and out easily with the hood up and doors on even though I can't fold the doors back.

I found that you need to almost over tighten the allen screw that is at the back of the mount otherwise it gradually comes loose, which is annoying.

Andy

Thanks Andy that seems to be what I have seen in pitures, but not close enough to make out the fixing arrangement. I will try this method first I think. Nothing to lose eh!

have you tried some of that "lock tight" on the allen screw? may avoid having the trouble of over tightening the thing in the future.

Only in the country a couple of weeks a year so have to make the most of the car when I can. Never put the roof on and no doors when I can.

I thought fitting them to the screen would result in hassle with the doors.

It does for a bit as when you try to fully extend the doors you bash the mirrors and move them slightly. But you soon get used to it and they're easy to reposition.

And with the doors off or on they work brilliantly (much better than the enormous vibrating air brakes that come as std).

I put a new hole in the frame between hinges. Would have done it the 'hinge' way but there was a hole there already from the previous owner (of the screen).

Getting in with the roof up isn't much more of a drag as your torso keeps the door open once you have leg no1 in! Removable steering wheel and seats you don't mind standing on are the order of the day for relatively easy entry etc.

My mirrors are Racetech Convex. They're cheaper than SPA (I think) and are very good. I think the flat ones in both ranges have plastic lenses which aren't so good. The convex ones are glass so image quality is better. Field of view takes a bit of getting used to but is much better when you do (I can practically see a full 180degs behind the car).

Just bought mine from another Blatter in Langdon Hills.

I found that by taking of the sidescreen and then removing the top hinge from the windscreen stanchion the mirrors will fit by using the top windscreen fixing screw and the lower of the two top hinge screws. These are about 38mm between centres and therefore if you are happy not to use the sidescreens, you have no need to drill the windscreen stanchions and can change back within about ten minutes.

Downside? Can't possibly fit the sidescreens with the mirrors in this position. Quite agree about the tightening of the back star screw, needs to be really tight. Eyes water like hell! 'Spose I need some goggles now as well, but first I want a FIA bar and some 13" wheels with ao32's.

(Tomorrow's a good day for it... always is!)