Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Combined starter and horn button

AdamQ

This is mainly directed to Chris W, but all comments welcome of course. Chris, in my other thread on wiring a start button, you mentioned designing a circuit that would give the following functionality to the start button

Press once and ignition on, press again and starter engages, press 3rd time and ignition switched off

Having fitted a Momo at the same time as the start button, I'm debating where to relocate the horn button and your post set me thinking. I was wondering whether it would be possible to design a circuit such that the start button was a start button while the engine wasn't running but the ignition was on and a horn button at all other times 🤔 Just an idea really, but I thought it might be quite neat - saves the weight of another button *smile* and doesn't clutter up the dashboard.

Adam

• Area Representative

Is there not a requirement for the horn to be sounded/used when the ignition is switched off? On many cars now, the horn appears to work when the engine isn't running.

Just a thought.

Nick

Nick, thanks for the reply. The legal requirements did cross my mind, but I sort of thought it would have to be a pretty unfriendly MoT man to kick up a fuss on that score. Also the plan is that the horn would work when the engine wasn't running AND the ignition was off - the button would only function as a start button when the engine wasn't running and the ignition was on if you see what I mean. (You get the bonus of an added security measure then - if somebody tries their luck and just presses the button the horn would sound causing 😳 ).

Adam

Just to clarify, I'm talking about an MoT man who is remarkably unfriendly, not pretty and unfriendly

Edited by - AdamQ on 10 May 2006 08:52:03

I am just designing a circuit for a fellow club member which will be a single button with the following functionality.

State_____________Functionality

Engine OFF: push button once and ignition comes ON

Ignition ON: push button once and release within 1 second and ignition goes OFF

Ignition ON: push button and hold for 1 second and the starter motor engages and remains cranking until button is released.

Engine ON: push button once and the engine and ignition switch OFF

The button can be steering wheel (fixed or Q/R) or dashboard mounted.

I have dubbed the circuit "CatStart"

If anyone 's interested, I shall be building a batch soon if I can get enough people who want one. say 10 - 20 people. The price will be around £65

Let me know

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 10 May 2006 11:17:13

Chris ,

Sounds interesting, as I intend changing the dash and tidy it all up. I would be interested in one, I take it it will mate up with the xflow wiring ?

😬

Get In , Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On. :-)

Nev the Rev (As named by Roadrunner Jax)

For the avoidance of doubt, the circuit will come supplied with male spade connectors which will mate with your existing ignition switch and/or big red starter button wiring. ie: you pull the wires off the existing set-up and simply plug them into the new CatStart. You can even use your existing big red starter button as the new combined ignition/start/off button if you wish.

If you ever want to swap back (if you sell the car for example) simply replug the wires back to their original positions.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here