Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My SLR has a Racing Pulse - Voltage Regulator Problems

Mike Scott

Hi Guys,

I’ve searched the archives on voltage regulators and charging problems but haven’t found anything like the problem I have, maybe Chris W or Andrew (Soupy) may be able to shed some light *idea*.

The spec is a 98 SLR with VHPD engine, a Rover branded Magnetti Marrelli alternator (can’t see the model number) and Rover MKC104521 ECU. Having read the archives they suggest the voltage regulator is in the ECU, however my alternator only has 2 connections, a thick brown wire on B+ and a thin brown with white stripe wire on D+, there is no stud (or wire) on the W terminal.

Now for the strange part *confused*

Engine off battery volts = 12.6V

Engine off lights on battery = 11.9V

So the battery is OK

BUT

When the engine is running, throughout the rev range, and with the lights on or off, the battery voltage oscillates between 14.7V and 16.6V at about 2Hz *eek*

This gives the lights a “racing pulse” when they’re on, as they beat at about 2Hz and is quite amusing to other drivers *wink*

Any idea on what is causing this? Could it be the diode pack or the regulator in the alternator 🤔

Cheers

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I just thought it was worth updating this thread in case anyone else sees this problem. I finally got to the bottom of my flickering lights problem, stripping down the alternator it was a loose connection within the regulator pack *eek*. So it’s always worth stripping the alternator and checking the internal connections before forking out for a replacement unit *idea*.

Cheers

Mike