Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I've solved the fuel crisis!!!!

David Miller

The further I go the fuller the tank gets *thumbup*, at least that’s what my fuel gauge is telling me today.

Last weekend I finally fitted my replacement fuel tank. When I turned the ignition on the fuel gauge went to almost full with only a gallon of fuel in. Suggestions were that it was a bad earth. Anyway I disconnected the fuel gauge and went and filled up with 10 litres of fuel. I remade the earth connection, reconnected the gauge and it showed half full, so everything seemed fine, until today.

The gauge is a VDO whereas the sender on the replacement tank is a Smiths. Are the two not compatible or is there another likely problem?

'Here comes the Miller man' (apologies to Human League) in a red supersprint with clamshells.

You need to dig out the relevant Chris W article that he published in LF many moons ago.

Basic answer is that there is no general rule to say that one sensor will match with anothers gauge - they need to be precisely matched.

Dunno if Chris has any hosting potential - I could if appropriate/necessary.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks, so it looks like a new gauge is required.

Afraid I knacked the old sender unit trying to undo a rusted solid connection ☹️

'Here comes the Miller man' (apologies to Human League) in a red supersprint with clamshells.

Edited by - David Miller on 23 Apr 2006 23:01:21

David

is the tank the same depth - if so you need to adjust the sender depth and as stated the sender needs to be matched to the guage - suggest you speak to Steve Wilson @ VDO in Birmingham - they are very helpful

Siemens VDO Trading Ltd.

36 Gravelly Industrial Park

Birmingham

B24 8TA

Telephone No: 00 44 (0) 121 326 1271

Fax No: 00 44 (0) 121 326 1298

Mobile No: 00 44 (0) 776 893 4041

E-Mail Address: stevewilson@siemens.com

Steve helped me with the wiring of guages bought from VDO in USA as i needed a hall sensor for the speedo as the US version would not fit to the gearbox

Best of luck *thumbup*

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

Hi Sootysevener,

I acquired the tank secondhand complete with the sender in it. I have now spoken to Mick at Redline Components and am taking the easy way out by fitting a new gauge but thanks for the information.

Regards