Click here if you are having website access problems ×

EU3 Tacho Replacement - shift light

daj060454

Sorry to raise this one again! I've wired up the new tacho provided by Caterham, which should allow the Tacho shift light to work, but the shift light stays permanently on! has anyone resolved this problem, as the helpline seems clueless and have either promised to call me back (not!) or not been there..Help

:-)

Dave Jackson

Dave - I too had the dodgy tacho/shift light but fixed the problem with the help of a friend...and at the same time fitted an omex sequential shift light system.

"we put a resistor was 1K, 1/4 Watt, and it went between the +v (red of the ecu light system) and the revcounter_out (from the ECU) which was green- The problem was that both your rev counter and the shift light had pull-down resistors on their inputs, and the output stage of the ECU was open-collector, with what appeared to be a 4K7 or so pull-up. This pullup was being overwhelmed by the pulldowns on the counter & shift light, and no-one ever saw a 'proper' pulse. With the extra pull-up, the ECU 'won', and was able to put out a good pulse train that both the counter and shift light were happy with. It's not clear why the ECU was so gutless - although I guess they were never expecting to have to drive anything other than the standard Rover rev-counter (which may have had a pull-up internally, I guess). ANyway, the extra pullup is unlikely to ever cause a problem - the current is still pretty tiny."

I told caterham not to send me the new one as I didn't need it, but they did, so I have not fitted the new one. Does the tacho now not go backwards at 4000 rpm then?

Get in touch with Simon Lambert from aftersales as he is usually very good at getting back to people.

rob

strangely enough, apart from the shift light not working, there was nothing wrong with the Tacho, but now I've got a permanent orange light!

I'll try to get hold of Simon

Failing that I might try the DIY option and fit some proper shift lights - although the engines barely run in yet!

Thanks Rob

Dave Jackson

insert the black/blue wire in pin no 53 if you have a sub loom fit the black wire in to pin 56 this is on the small conector on the ecu not the large one hope this can help

fred

Edited by - clik on 25 Jan 2002 17:06:28

Dave, The correct pin for the shift light on the small connector on the ecu, not the large one, if you pull it off look on the inside with a magnifying glass you will see the number 53, that is your shift up light connection. If you have got it on any other one this may be your problem.

daj060454

Did you follow the instructions for setting the dip switches on the back of the tacho? Just a thought as no-one else has mentioned it. Mine did arrive with them set for the supersport but I'm running a non-ss engine so changed them and don't expect the light to work anyway.

Steve

thanks for the input guys, but it seems that the Tacho is faulty, I tried the wiring, the micro switches and even checked that the current was getting through, but no change the light stayed on! Caterham are sending a new tacho as I write.

Thanks again

Dave Jackson