Click here if you are having website access problems ×

electrickery

DaveGr

Seven didn't start this morning in several attempts over about 90 mins, and after a week in the garage. Couldn't hear fuel pump running thought starter turning. turned hazards on and off again. Fuel pump started running this time and it started perfectly! Where do you start on something like this? - complete novice! *eek*

I don't think I can remember a blow by blow account. I was just trying to work out if any supply was reaching the rear end of the car so with the ingnition turned on i tried various the indicators - nothing doing so i hit the hazards - they worked fine, and then so did the fuel pump. I know Im asking for a bit much for a diagnosis over the web but i wondered if anyone had any advice about how you start checking out this sort of problem. I would take it to andy macmillan, but if i can get it there it must be working!

thanks

Dave

Ostensibly, there is no connection whatsoever between the hazard/indicator switch circuits and the fuel pump circuit. The only common element is that they both use the ignition switched supply ultimately.

However, if the engine was turning over (but not starting) it means that the ignition supply must have been OK or else the starting relay would not have closed.

Which 7 variant do you have? If it's an older version, was it bought second-hand as someone may have altered the wiring in the past?

It could of course just be a coincidence and that leads to 2 possibilities that I can envisage for its not starting:

1. The ignition switch wiring has a loose connector (one of the [usually] 2 white wires) or

2. The fuel cut-off switch (if you have one) was not seated properly. Did you check this latter switch by pushing the reset button on the top of it?

Do you have a standard ignition switch or a button start?

Let me know and I'll scratch my head again.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Thanks for suggestions so far - will check out those things as best I can.

Chris, its a 2000 plate classic, ex graduate car so it could have non standard wiring i suppose but it has been nicely looked after (apart from being crashed into!) by previous owners. Dont think I have a fuel cut off switch, and I have a standard starter rather than a button.

Dave

At a trackday last friday my Academy car refused to start and hazard lights came on automatically. Cutting the FIA switch and then resetting the immobiliser fixed it though.

Remember that on a k-series the hazard lights are wired to the immobiliser which cuts the fuel pump.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Tom

Remember that on a k-series the hazard lights are wired to the immobiliser which cuts the fuel pump.
Where did you get that idea? The hazard circuit and the immobiliser circuit are totally separate. (unless this is an Academy mod?). It's certainly not so for a standard K series.

Chris

Edited by - Chris W on 4 Apr 2006 10:46:32

Well, when I set the immobiliser, the hazards flash to confirm it has set, so I assume they are linked.... Maybe I have a non-standard one *confused*

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

Yes Tom that is non-standard on a K.

However, all that a previous owner has done is to connect the hazards to the output relay contacts on the immobiliser which are normally left unconnected. This is merely a switch function and in no way electrically connects the hazards into the immobilser circuit itself.

Chris