Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Green stuff brake pads

andy couchman

I run these front and back (Alcon 4 pot calipers front and Sierra rears) and have problems with grabbing brakes. You can even feel it when slowing from walking pace. It feels like warped discs, but they're not.

Questions.

1. Have I failed to run in the pads properly, resulting in a build up of material on the discs and is this typical of these pads?

2. Can I do anything to sort it? I did emery down the discs, which improved things short-term, but the problem is back again.

3. Any other comments (other than 'don't brake')?

T muchly.

Andy

I tried EBC pads on a motor bike they grabbed and squeeled and faded. I recon EBC stands for extra bleeding crap. Sorry Andy on a serious note the green stuff is a soft pad all you can try is filing a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge and clean up your discs with 1200 emery paper then degrease with carbon tetrocloride or brake cleaner. Also check that your wheel bearings are correctly adjusted ie no play.

I used them at Clash of the Titans II against Lord Carmichael of Upper Streatham, and found they were not effective when cold (i.e. low speed) when I missed the apex of the Molehill by about 3 yards, costing me victory.

Red stuff are even worse in this respect - they overcool on a fast lap of Brands GP if really pressing on, at the end of Pilgrims Drop i have to brake 1/2 second early to allow the brakes to warm up again.

The only thing in their favor is their resistance to wear (Red Stuff) and the lack of wear to the brake disc.

Red Stuff are the ideal teaching aid for proving you could have hit the brakes 30m closer to the bend!

Ferrodo DS2000/3000 are the affordable option, but they eat discs.

Pagids make for an expensive compromise.

Fit a Randcam. Burn oil (and everything else)

I went through at least 5 sets of EBC reds - they lasted about 2-3 trackdays each. I burnt up a set of greens in one trackday. Fortunately, I used standard rears then.

Per trackday mile, Pagids are cheaper than EBC pads. EBC reds are good when new but they go off after a few heat cycles. I'd agree with Rob's explanation of the meaning of the initials.

I think we must have differing compoound Red Stuff Alex. I'm still on the first set after around 15000 miles, 1000 or so of which has been on track.

Fit a Randcam. Burn up diesel oil ......(and everything else)

i have to agree with Dave on that one too Andy. Chuck them out and get some Pagids, expensive to start with, but much better value in the long run, and will continue to work. {They might squeal a bit though, but this is a minor problem, at least they work and work well] EBC are just a waste of money *eek*

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance! [Except building up my new CSR kit]