Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Personal Media player/recorder - Now on Ebay - no reserve

Ian B

Ebay link here

Goodmans GPDR1 Portable Digital Recorder or "Personal Entertainment System".

Essentially its a video and/or audio player and recorder plus a lot more.

This multifunction device allows you to:

Play MPEG-4 Videos

View JPEG images

Record Digital Videos

Record Digital Audio

Listen to MP3 files

Use it as a USB portable disk

Use it as a SD/MMC card reader

Record a TV show (MPEG4 compatible ASF file format)

Print Photos directly without attaching to a PC (DPS ready)

Use it as a Digital Voice recorder

Use it as an alarm clock

It features a 2.5" LCD screen, built-in mic and speaker. SD /MMC expansion slot

Connections: USB/ Audio in/ Video in/ earphone/ DC in

Size is only 78 x 95 x 20mm and it weighs only 140g

Supplied complete with: Software (including Ulead Videostudio6), 256Mb MMC Card, Phono & Scart cable/adaptor, Mains Power supply, Li-on Rechargeable battery, earphones, carry bag, Manual and original box/packaging.

It is brand new and in original packaging (although it has been unpacked and powered up once, and unfortunatley it looks like it should come with a USB lead, which I must have mislaid when unpacking it, but that is a standard lead available pretty much anywhere for a few pounds).

The following link is to the manufacturers website information here

It cost about £150 so will sell for £125 *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 16 Nov 2005 21:50:38

Edited by - Ian B on 21 Apr 2006 15:12:15

Absolutely no idea Roger! However I'm away at the moment but will se if the manual sheds any light on it at the weekend.

As for ASF and Pinnnacle - even less idea, sorry!

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

The "user guide" doesn't make much mention of anything technical !

However after much searching I found:

All photos converted by Multimedia Converter for uploading TO the GPDR (for viewing on the move etc) will be resized to 640 x 480 pixels to fit the GPDR screen (The Video recorded by the GPDR will be at the size of 320 x 240 pixels)" so it looks like video recording will be equivelent to about 240 visible lines.

It also says the supplied software has a Multimedia file format converter, and a "Multimedia Converter dialog box appears" when you've loaded the software and connect the unit to the PC via a usb cable.

You select the PC folder where you want the files from the GPDR to be stored, "press the 'Convert' button and the conversion starts. The Convert Progress dialog box appears listing the conversion detail."

Unfortunately the user guide doesn't tell you any more about 'the conversion detail'!!

It does show a table though, as follows:

Multimedia Converter Supported File Type

Windows Media Audio and Video file format - .asf, wav

Windows Audio and Video file format - DivX AVI, Motion JPEG AVI only

Moving Picture Expert Group (MPEG) - .mpeg, .mpg, dat

MP3 - .mp3

Image - .bmp, jpg, tif

Hope that helps!

The Video recorded by the GPDR will be at the size of 320 x 240 pixels" so it looks like video recording will be equivelent to about 240 visible lines.

I hate to quibble, but for 240 visible lines you need 480 pixels - you've got to be able to see the gaps as well as the lines. But I think lines are normally measured vertically, so I guess this would be 160 lines.

The format conversion list looks good, though. With AVI output you should be able to feed it into most video editing packages.

Sorry if I misled 😳 (and I suspect you love to quibble Roger *tongue*)

Vertical resolution is the number of visible horizontal lines in a conventionally scanned (tube) display (maximum about 575 for PAL).

For a digital display the max vertical resolution is the number of pixels high (not including 'gaps').

So in the GPDR's case the max Vertical Video Resolution is 240 'lines' (this is in theory, as there are a number of ways to calculate the reduction from the theoretical maximum due to the effect of a detail element straddling two lines - a rule of thumb reduction is 75%, but it's always the maximum figure that's quoted!).

Horizontal resolution is the number of black/white element cycles that are possible across the screen, so for a digital display with 320 pixels across, the maximum horizontal resolution would be 160 'lines' (although the same derating factor as above should be used to get the true picture resolution).

Therefore the maximum video resolution of the GPDR-1 would be 240 lines vertical by 160 lines horizontal.

Now, DO YOU WANT TO BUY IT? 😬

Griff,

I've got it up on ebay at the moment and will have to withdraw it by about 9pm tonight if she definitely wants it.

Email my profile if she does.

• 1 month later...

OK, the guy who has "coming round to collect it soon" still hasn't showed *mad* (no one from on here!).

So it's back on the market if anyone is interested?

• 2 months later...