Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch Problems

Kev Rayner

Hi,

I’ve just tried to take my Seven out for a Blast last one before christmas! I pushed her out of my garage, got her all warmed up then tried to put her into gear, she made a terrible noise lots of grinding and I could not get her into any gear ! Dose anybody have any ideas about what might have gone wrong with my car? Has the Clutch/gearbox failed? Has anybody else had the same sort of thing after there car has been off the road for three months? The Clutch seemed to be ok to press down but I don’t know if it was disengaging the drive.

Thanks

Kevin

Oh ow, NOT good.

Clutch driven plate has 'seized' to the flywheel face! This is why people used to jam the clutch pedal down with a length of wood twixt said pedal and seat. It kept the surfaces apart.Can you put it into any gear with the engine NOT running, but when it's running it just graunches? I bet you can!

Had this happen to my Lotus Esprit once. Caused by lack of use and a damp atmosphere.

Only way I know (& I don't like it much!)

:- Get car onto a long, quiet, straight road somehow by pushing etc. Put car in 1st gear. Start engine. NOTE. WARNING. Car will pull itself forward on the starter motor! When it is running the car will still be driving forward. Change gear on the revs, and when doing say, 25 mph, stamp on the brakes, hard & hold WITHOUT dipping the clutch. There should be a bang as the clutch frees itself off, due to the flywheel 'pulling' itself away from the clutch/drivetrain (by the drag from the locked wheels). Noise is horrible!

GREAT CARE must be taken!!!!!!!! Of course, the Esprit was heavier (and the Seven may just lock its wheels), but it worked for me! Maybe get a (brave) mate to sit in to increase the weight.

This course of action is a last ditch attempt short of removing engine and gearbox etc and prising clutch driven plate off!

I vowed never,ever to have it happen again, so fitted a dehumidifier in the garage and the problem never occurred again eitherthumbsup.gif

Also had a mate with a Viva (yeah,a long time ago) and that would only respond with the g/box dropped etc.

If you follow this course of action,I accept no responsibility for any/other strain/damage incurred OK? The bang when mine freed was horrendous, but no other problems were caused!! You have been warned though.

GOOD LUCK !

Edited by - chris clark on 15 Dec 2001 16:01:05

My problem was similar, but was sovled by my increasing the travel of the clutch arm by shimming the slave cylinder mounting. Coincidently, have had to reshim once more, I think the release bearing settled? Works fine now that it's too cold to drive. Good luck. Tom

• 2 months later...

Yes me too. Now am I going to damage my starter motor if I try the fourth (top) gear, foot firmly on the brake, do the samba on the ignition key. Do I need just to be brave??? Should I warm every thing up first by running the engine?? All this sunshine going to waste. Hear from fellow sufferers soon I hope.

Brian

brianfyfe@ema.org.uk

The following may be a bit gentler if you live at the top of a hill or can get your 7 there. It worked for me a few years ago.

Get it warmed up in neutral and switch off

Engage 3rd (on a 4 speed box) and get a push off down hill

Turn on ignition and engine fires and you shouldn't stall unless your engine is one of these over tuned modern things

Get up to 30 or so and then depress clutch and rapidly accelerate and decelerate repeatedly - a sort of "kangaroo Petrol" exercise. After 100 yards of this my clutch came free.

DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE A STEERING LOCK

The secret seems to be to get into as high a gear as possible which is compatible with the bump start as higher gears subject the clutch to more torque (anoraks please discuss)

I then bought the de-humidifier

This topic regularly comes to the fore at this time of year when our cars are dragged out from their hibernation. Try a search on this forum and I'm sure you will find any number of methods to release your stuck clutch.

Try putting it in gear with the engine not running, depress the clutch, and get someone to push the car....might be just enough to free the plate.

Another is to make sure that you have plenty of space ahead of you,engage gear whilst engine off, depress clutch and then start engine but be ready to stamp on the brakes. Sounds brutal but generally the driven plate is not seriously stuck and takes little to dislodge it!

Next year, start the car every couple of weeks and use the clutch and slip it a bit to keep it clean and free.

Or buy a de-humidifier!

Andrew