Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CVT Automatics

pjh

No, I am not thinking of the latest upgrade to Baby Bucket 😳.

I have recently acquired a car with a CVT automatic and it can roll back when on a hill even when it is in Drive (conversely it can roll forward when in reverse) Is this normal - I know that I should ask the dealership, but I am concerned that all I'll get is the "They all do that, Sir".

Thanks,

Peter

PS Is the fact that I now like a car with a CVT transmission a sign of an inverse mid-life crisis 😬

Edited by - pjh on 8 Nov 2005 12:50:06

"Yep" Thats normal.

My audi multitronic has done this since day one. You get used to holding a little throttle on a steep hill, which is entirely normal. However, there have also been lots of problems with these gearboxes juddering (if it's an Audi) when rolling to a standstill . Mine had to have a new valve body under warranty (after they told me it needed a gearbox oil change, and charged £180 to change the oil, "yes that's £180" unbelievable. Earlier versions had to have an additional clutch plate fitted, and I understand some people had to have a complete new box. If it's a used car, and you bought it from a dealer, get the warranty history verified. If not, it could be seriously expensive if it goes wrong.

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Oz,

Thanks for the reply, its a Nissan Murano. My last two cars have been Audis (manual rather than auto). The first was fine (A4 Avant), but the second was a complete dog (Allroad) and I got fed up of the dealer service.

Thanks again,

Peter

My wife has had a Nissan Micra with a CVT box until recently, bought it in 1997 and done about 90k miles with no problems with the CVT. They do not have any creep built in as they use a clutch actuated by a micro switch connected to the throttle. I would not recomend holding it on slightly higher revs on hills etc as that is tantamount to slipping the clutch and WILL lead to problems, which will be more expensive to fix. Just get used to using the handbrake or left foot braking at slow speed. I quite liked the way ours worked, and of course there was no fuel penalty as there was no torque converter to stir around.

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!