Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TomTom Navigator 5 upgrade

Anton

I have a TomTom Navigator 3 on a PDA using my tracker for GPS info and have been undecided whether to upgrade to Nav5. Our present version, apart from having a liking (almost an addiction) for motorways (especially the M25!) has worked pretty well for 18 months.

TomTom have just sent out a newsletter saying their offer to upgrade to Nav5 for 59 Euros ceases on 1st November.

I've seen a number of adverse comments aboout Nav5 - I'd like to hear from anyone who has made the upgrade from 3 successfully, *thumbup* as well as the problems, *thumbdown* to help a ditherer decide *confused* *confused*

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

• Area Representative

I have received the same e-mail, so have to make the same decision. I have been holding off because TT3 is so annoying - but having invested the money I'm not in a hurry to ditch it.

The good news is that I will be out on the road for four days next week with some one who has done the upgrade and is delighted with it - so I will be having a look and deciding by Friday.

Will let you know.

I u/g from 3 to 5 and now 5.1 on my Ipaq hx4700.

I've had no issues since installing 5.1! Version 5.0 had bugs causing memory leaks and lock-ups on VGA screen based devices.

Since installing 5.1 I've had no issues.

Other people on this forum however seem to have had nothing but problems.

Check through the compatability pages on TomTom's web site for compatability with your PDA. There are a lot of functions that have been removed form 5.1 that were in 3.0 - like changing what buttons were where on the menu screen, and your personalisation of travelling speeds.

They have however added full postcode search, and updated, but not perhaps the MOST uptodae maps.

The U/G also gets you FULL maps of Western Europe - which would cost a fortune as a separate purchase. If you travel abroad in Europe this may be beneficial for you.

TomTom do not support non-tomtom GPS recievers in the current releases of software...

I'm happy with my upgraded version.

• Area Representative

Thanks Mav

Hmmmm, so they want to be like Apple: unlike most software vendors.

It looks like they will not support the Mitac Mio (with it's integrated GPS aerial). They certainly don't list it as supported hardware. *thumbdown*.

Ecermore disappointing but will call the helpline number on Monday.

However I notice that the Mio is sold with TomTom5: that is a good sign.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 23 Oct 2005 19:51:07

• Area Representative

Good about TT5

the rescaling of the maps is much faster.

There is an "advance planning" function. If it works well, will do very nicely for me: I want to plan what I will do on the next day - just like pooring over a map - although you will probably need a map too!

I think there is a "via" option, ie: having planned your destination, you can and a deviation to find the pub, then go on to the final destination. If you can do this in TT3, I have yet to discover it - I just navigate to one place, then use "recent locations" to plan a new route from where-ever I have diverted to.

Apparently you can save itineraries: which I would love.

The one I was using uses a bluetooth connection via the mobile phone to get TomTom traffic reports and offers info on delays. This makes journey time allowances based on this info, giving you a less optimistic ETA.

You have routing options: as well as "fastest" you can ask for "shortest", "walking" and "limited speed" routes. Some of these might help.

Not better:

Still loves a bigger road and higher road speeds. Ask it to replan, 'cos the route offered goes around three sides of a square, taking 30 minutes, the alternative will go by the short route and take 30 minutes!

Have you read this http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtom-navigator-pda-5.php here

the guy who is using the version I looked at is also using an e-bay "version" and it will not remember "favourites" which is a problem.

Might think of a few other things during the day.

Be careful, the advance planning function is a pain in the 🙆🏻 you can plan point to point in advance but if you are at point A and you want to plan a future trip between point B to C to D it can't do it without starting you at point A (your current GPS location)....

David

• Area Representative

Thanks David

Shame about the feature. A proper planning feature would be good particularly for a Seven driver, where how you get there is as important as the destination.

Stick to maps then! Great aren't they?

My experience of TomTom is that it is fabulous, if and when you just want to get there - "don't care how, just get me there" particularly if you are unsure of where you are. Then it really is GOOD. The rest of the time - not sure.

Rats, I had sort of decided to do the upgrade, now I'm not so sure.