Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake disks

acbateman

We have a 1700 XF with a 1991 live axle chassis and standard brakes. I noticed that the r/h disk was getting more marked that the l/h one ie not as shiny and that the r/h wheel appears to be creating more brake dust. Since the disks appeared original [26000 miles] I replaced disks and pads this year. However, the l/h disk has a mirror finish while the r/h one is becoming more marked again. I wondered whether the r/h caliper needs a rebuild but the brakes work well and the car stops in a straight line without pulling to one side. Any ideas please?

Edited by - acbateman on 19 Sep 2005 21:44:53

I should think of either a sticking caliper piston, a sticking sliding caliper or, occasionally, deterioration on the inside of a flexible brake hose may inhibit fluid return and keep thepressure partially on an individual piston caliper. Flexible hoses are often forgotten and they do have a limited life.

If you still have the standard calipers fitted you will find you have 2 pistons in each caliper. Each piston acts directly onto the back of a brake pad.

If you had a sliding caliper it would only have 1 piston per caliper, force is applied directly to the rear of one pad and transfered to the other pad by the sliding movement of the caliper.

I should enquire about a price for both but would prbably end up buying new, being paranoid about such things.

Are the wheel bearings Ok? (Just an after thought.. I don't know how much effect it has, but could one disc be wobbling around a bit more than the other before and in the initial phase of pad contact onto the discs?)