Click here if you are having website access problems ×

race wingstays & 175/55 R13 CR500 ??

naddy

After searching the archive, the so called 'vauxhall race stays' with wings for 13/14" wheels are going to offer the closest fit.... I think!

phoned Caterham today to check how much lower this setup would be than my current standard wingstays & CF arches (for 13/14" rims) - and erm, they didn't know...

At £90+vat this matters!!

1) Can anybody out there tell me how much lower the race wingstays are than the ones usually used for 13" wheels??

2) are there any alternatives (other than a 'cut & shut' approach on my current wings)

I have fitted the race wingstays on my car. I cannot recall how much lower they are over standard but I can still squeeze 185/60 x 13 shod 6.5J or a 195/45 x 15 on the front. As tyour Cr500's have a lower profile you should have no problems *thumbup*

The only alternative I could come up with was to cut and shut the existing stays.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

They're cr@p. I had std 13/14 wingstays and got fed up with them looking like raised eyebrows so I ordered the VX race wings stays, they were better with 185/60/13 Yokos but when I fitted the Avons they looked cr@p again.

I checked out an R400 at a track day and those are 10mm lower than mine, I dont know what they use...

Youd have to go to Caterham and measure them I think. The only significant thing about the VX stays is that they have "bathtubs" in the sides to allow wider tyres..

Mail me and I'll send you a photo of mine before and after.

BC

Thanks again everyone *thumbup*

Bob...

quote "They're cr@p. I had std 13/14 wingstays and got fed up with them looking like raised eyebrows so I ordered the VX race wings stays, they were better with 185/60/13 Yokos but when I fitted the Avons they looked cr@p again."

.....I can see we're on the same wavelength!! I suspected the race stays would look good with 60 profile Yoko tyres (which I've been using) but feared they wouldnt be good enough with the 55 profile Avons (which I just fitted).

Thanks for the blunt opinion *smile* - you have mail...

Ferrino...

Nothing at all wrong with the cut'n'shut approach, except I can't weld! Or powdercoat! and I get scared when it comes to chopping up bits of Seven 😳 However, you're probably right... I'm off to Freestyle in a couple of weeks for some suspension work, I wonder if they'd be up for it?? Have to give 'em a call...