Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Adjusting VW xenon headlamps for Europe?

SteveP

Hope someone can help me out with this. I have a Passat saloon (2003) fitted with the xenon headlamps. I'm also off to Europe in a week in the car and need to adjust the headlamps to stop glare. Now I'm pretty sure you can't just stick on those headlamp converters, and when I asked at the VW garage yesterday, they just told me that there is a clip and a lever on the back of the headlamp units that can be "flicked" to get the beams pointing in a euro friendly way

So I've had a look and can't find any evidence of a lever. There is a clip that holds the back of the unit on, but I can't get to the O/S headlamp as it's obscured by an air intake.

Before I do something stupid and / or have to take the car back to the VW garage, does anyone have experience of this and can describe how to do it? Naturally the 'owners manual' simply says to take the car to a VW garage if you need your headlamps adjusting. Thing is I'm gonna need the headlamps in UK orientation up until I get to Europe, so don't want them adjusting until then (i.e. by me when we dock), if you see what I mean

Many thanks

SteveP

The Caterham Pages here

Edited by - SteveP on 3 Sep 2005 18:03:32

Edited by - SteveP on 3 Sep 2005 18:06:54

Steve

On ours (Land Rover), there is the same lever. It is accessed by removing the large black rubber grommet at the back of the light units. It moves a 'canopy' which modified the beam from one side to the other. Access to this can be a real pain.

CAUTION: Be very careful to adhere to the owner's handbook and any underbonnet warnings - xenon lights work at very high voltage (25kV ish), so make sure they are off before you explore...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 7000 miles completed!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 3 Sep 2005 18:22:02

My BMW is as Guy says, remove rubber cover, lever just covers the angled up bit of the beam to reduce glare, hateful job to do and difficult to confirm when done, depite warnings I did mine with them on and in the dark to be able to notice the change

Mark