Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Malfunctioning windscreen wipers

Jan T

My WW's are not working. I have swapped the fuse to no avail. Is there history with the motors failing or is it most likely a loose connection? All other electrics seem fine.

Advice for techphobe appreciated.

Thanks

Jan

Curious coincidence - mine stopped working last week. Tried all the suggestions below plus making sure the nut on the drive end of the motor was nice and tight - to no avail.

Took it to Redline this morning - sorted! *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Apparently, when the tube leading the dirve to the wiper spindles was fitted it was bent into a too acute angle (near 90 degrees), stressing it and csuing it to break (after 11,000 miles) 🙆🏻

Hope that isn't your problem as I think getting the drive out is a bit of a pig!

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Mine failed in a thunderstorm just north of Grenoble causing abandonment of holiday in July. The spiral drive broke ( 18,000 miles ) on the sharp angle. I got CC cars to get me a new spiral and tube between motor and first wiper for about £21. As you say the angle is much too great and the drive is bound to fail due to the excessive flexing and friction at this point.. C C say it never fails !! And being the brilliant engineers they are just bend the tube to fit, without using a proper pipe bending kit, which any plumber will use when bending a tube through a sharp angle to prevent flattening it on the bend !!! I bent my new tube filled with wet sand to fit ,but don't think it will last that long as the friction caused by the bend is huge. It runs OK because the gearing on the motor is so low that there is a lot of power. A design fault I am afraid. As so many cars do such small mileages annually and seldom venture out in the rain the wipers will not get enough use to fail that often !! Mines a SV so the angle is probably less due to the extra room.

I don't know if mine work as Ihave never tried them, come to think of it they didn't try them during the MOT. One simple answer is to fit an aero screen, saves all the bother of standing on your head trying to fit a new mechanism.

Mature enthusiast Black with Silver stripe 1.8K super sport.

mine failed recently.

2.5 year old SV with 20K miles.

Delberts also failed recently on similar aged SV.

There has to be a design fault with so many failing at this age.... I was pinged £80 for new motor and 1 hour labour (plus theft) to fix. though they did do it VERY promptly so overall I was happy with the fix...

I was able to take the whole thing apart after I got home...... 450 miles on French Roads with no wiper and raining most of the way was not fun. The spiral drive moved very easily on the straight bit of the drive turning the spindles for the wipers . As soon as it got to the 45 degree bend it became so stiff that you had to use pliers to push and pull it in and out, when I fitted the new drive is was easy until I bent the tube to fit and it became the same. extremely hard to move.

The reason why C C don't think there is a problem with a large number of failures of items is because there is only 12 months warranty. After this period it does not cost them and "spares" dept have no monitoring of the items they sell, so they don't know if it is a 10 year old car etc.

Couple this with the low average years mileage of under 5000 miles of cars under warranty, they have no idea that items are failing after less than 20,000 miles. This is 4 years on the average car. Since 30th June I have had alternator failure,wiper failure. oil pressure sender and water temperature sender failures..... 17/18,000 miles..... 2 1/2 years old !!! So these weaknesses are coming to light. Dare I mention that almost all other makes of cars now have a 3 year / 60,000 miles warranty on faulty parts. C C need to raise their game on all cars that are never been on a track especially on items that have no servicing requirements... I have never had this sort of trouble on any other car in 40 years !!!

Niels correct,

03 plated SV, the fixing has been stressed etc etc .. New motor +labour... Hopefully my bill will only be one hour as well but I will wait and see.

Dare I mention that almost all other makes of cars now have a 3 year / 60,000 miles warranty on faulty parts. C C need to raise their game on all cars that are never been on a track especially on items that have no servicing requirements... I have never had this sort of trouble on any other car in 40 years !!!

Funny how thinks come round CC have told me my mileage is excessive at 13k in 2 half years!!!!

It does feel like they have done a risk assesment on failed design assumptions on a mileage of say 5k per annum so us "high mileage users " (and I use the phrase laugingly as I've just banges 15k on a Volvo in 3 months) are not considered to be normal!!!

The Liver is an evil organ and deserves to be punished

Edited by - Delbert on 31 Aug 2005 23:12:06