Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fuel consumption Vx1.6

se7enmad

Hello,

the Caterham website used to say 26mpg @ 75 mph for the 1600vx.

Late one night coming back from Scotland i did a whole tank 17mpg @ 95mph

The first week i had the my 1600vx i got through one tank in 12mpg on the B roads around north Oxfordshire!

If you are careful you might hit 30mpg.

the big problem with the carb fed sevens seems to be using the main jets in the carb and the poor aerodynamics.

some one mentioned the other week on blatchat that their 1600vx was "over jetted" therefore chucking more petrol into the engine then was needed.

this is a possible improvement i intend to look into.

as for the aerodynamics the easyest thing to change is fitting aeroscreens of some sort.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Simon

If you are careful you might hit 30mpg.

Erm, what are you saying, me? Careful, in a car? 😬

If I can't afford driving the car because of the costs then I will either sell it or garage it, buy a sofa, plonk it in the garage next to the car and sit watching it till i save enough to go out ! 😬

You are right about the carbs needing review. I did have mine rejetted a while ago but for sure the car needs more work. When I get to do that the head will have to come out to get some porting and valves. Maybe then put in a proper cam and then I will make sure all the fuel used is not at all wasted IYSWIM 😬

Aeroscreeens, no, not for me. Some more power will help break the wind barrier a bit more 😬

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

my NEW site here

I was getting around 24mpg then visited a rolling road which saved 20% fuel consumption, AND improved throttle responsiveness.

£37 well spent (well, after....hang on.... [sticks out tongue while counting on fingers *confused*].... five fill-ups *thumbup*