Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Certificate of newness / New registration - Advice please

Advice needed here please....!

I'm Looking to build from a starter kit and as your probably aware you can only have 1 reconditioned part.

That said I need to produce invoices for all items in order to get the car on a current non Q plate

Can anyone offer advice or expiriences on 'invoicing' and what is declared on a certificate of newness how detailed is it? or is is simply a straight forward declaration of conformity by CC.

Any advice on getting through the paperwork in order to obtain a current plate would be welcome, - don't want to build it and fall foul at the last hurdle !!

Thanks

As far as I remember the CC certificate of newness just stated that everything supplied by them is new. I bought a complete kit and obviously the certificate of newness covered the entire car.

In your project the CC certificate of newness will only cover the chassis. If you diligently collect your invoices and ensure that major units are clearly described as "new" on the invoice you shouldn't have any trouble; the combination of visual inspection by the SVA inspector and documentary proof supplied by you should get you through.

A slight hijack.................does anyone know if, when a car is registered and a certificate of newness from CC is presented, the DVLA cross check this with CC or just accept it on face value?

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!

I just been through a similar process rebuilding a Superlight.

There isn't a CoN with the starter kit - but my guess is that CC could be pursuaed to issue one after the post build inspection if they were sure that the parts were all new (except one). Suggest you call Simon Lambert at CC about this, I've always found him helpful.

We had more than one used part (but from a single donor car) and got the registration year of the donor car. This involved both an SVA and an inspection by the Oxford branch of "Swansea" (can't remeber the real name off hand).

The inspection was v short - about 2 minutes - and confined to checking engine and chassis numbers. They did mention that they check all Caterhams - although about 3 years ago they didn't check my newly built car and took the CoN at face value. My impression is that they have tightened up the procedure.

Martin