Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Deion Axle Tube

Paul Formston

My 7 had done only road miles and failed after 34.000 normalish miles. Its just the luck of the draw some will go on forever. The problem with mine appeared to stem from a tiny bit of corrosion under a weld which initiated the split in the tube. All you can do is inspect the tube very carefully every now and then, looking especially at all the welds.

Depends on the type of usage, road vs track.

Tracks are generally smooth unless you hit curbs hard or run off line.

Roads are bumpy and getting worse. I expect that a track day car driven around the curbs would see

a lot less stress on the tube and the ears than a road car clocking up 10s of thousands of miles on rough roads.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

On leaving Brooklands on Sunday after 3 goes up the hill the car felt odd and the tyres were squealing in a straight line! Car is 1992 Vx 190bhp and no track use, 24000 miles. Off-side rear looked to have developed toe-in. On examination I found De-dion tube to be banana shaped from the middle to the hub on drivers side, obviously not good. Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit the Watts linkage to these earlier cars to improve axle location. I have given up running with a rear anti-roll bar after 2 breakages.

bradders