Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser/Starting Problem

Martin Moxon

My car won't start ☹️ ☹️

It's clearly electrical - do the usual, put the key in the immobiliser (factory fitted shurlock), switch on the ignition, here the fuel pump going, turn the key, thunk everything dead - no electrics at all, not even hazards. Then after about a minute the immobiliser rights itself.

On investigation, battery is full of life, took a few fuses out and put back, removed and put back the immobiliser relay box, probably nudged a wire or two & then found I was able to start it.

I was then able to use it for work the following day, although after about 15 minutes of each journey the immobiliser beeped at me.

Next time I try to use it a couple of days later same as it was everything goes dead on turning the key.

If you need to know the car is a 99 VX 8 valve classic

Martin Moxon

Not the Cricketer

Did you get *anything* from the starter?

I've had some recent problems (now solved) - sometimes the old starter would engage but not turn over - this caused a massive current drain and all the electrics die. This was due to a duff solenoid IMHO.

I then had a similar problem with the new battery/starter - this turned out to be a loose battery-block earth.

Check them before you pull too many wires out of the immobiliser - also check the block-chassis earth lead.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com