Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham rev counter - any advice?

Westfield

The rev counter on my 1997 HPC seems to have a mind of its own… the needle fluctuates all the time and sometimes sticks at 4000 RPM. I am not confident its reading right either…

It’s a Caterham branded one… anyone else experienced problems?

While I am on, anyone got one for sale? Either a standard one or even a different make?

Web site updated!!

Mine started playing up a few weeks ago - going all over the place, sticking, reading zero. Appeared to be a faulty connector in the back of the guage/connector (in that wriggling the connector temporarily fixed it). Also seemed to be non linear and under read (according to the RR I visisted)

I bought a s/h replacement - unfortunately hadn't realised it had a different type of connector on the back so no go.

In the end I bought a Stack ST200 and fitted that yesterday - so far working a treat *smile*

Dave

Check and tighten all earth connections including windscreen wiper motor, Worth a try. Mine was boincing about after 4000 rpm. Finally replaced faulty oil presure switch which seems to have fixed the problem with the bonus that I have more oil pressure then I have ever had! 😬

John M

GK03 EGX SV

They do appear sensitive to the earth. I had a similar problem with mine during the build, (K series) it shot up to 7000 on turning the ignition on and they decayed slowly to 1000 after starting, turn the wipers on and it went up to 4000. I had connected a group of engine loom earths to the battery -ve. I re-connected them to the engine block, problem gone.