Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel spacers and wheel location

Mike Bees

Thinking of temporarily putting some 3mm spacers on the rear wheels to keep the tyres clear of the radius arms. This will prevent the wheel from locating on the 'ring' on the hub, which seems truly horrible to me. Anyone else done this? Anyone got any comments on wheel location/centralisation with/without spacers?

Mike

I ran wheel spacer 3mm on some Race Revolution wheels on the front to clear the AP callipers.

Worked fine and cheap enough from race factors like Demon T for example.

I don't reckon as little as 3 mm would affect anything negatively.

They are designed for ford PCD so locate properly. No issue.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Jun 2005 10:07:17

I used some 3mm ones on the fronts which were a universal fit so you had to position them whilst tightening the first nut - seemed to be fine but I still got some (but less) contact on the wingstay. Didn't notice any difference from a driver point of view.

My car is fitted with longer studs so I can't comment on whether the standard ones are long enough.

The rears I use are offset a bit wider than the Caterham supplied 8 inch rears. I have a set of those and a set of superlight 8 inch rears. The problem I have is that on hard cornersing, the tyre rubs on the inside of the rear wing with the superlights. Not noticed the caterham ones rubbing on anything. I do have the newer style radius arms which have an indent on them.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 Jun 2005 10:17:26

I am running 3mm or 5mm spacers on the rear to clear early Dedeon tube with 13inch wheels.

I take your point about missing the extra centralising engagement on the hub.

I could do with some spacers that sit snugly on the hub and also provided a lip for the wheel to engage on.

Having said that the balance of the wheel appears to be fine so it cant be that much off center.

Nick