Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel stud turning

Mike Bees

Just doing my final preparations to get the car back on the road & MOT'ed after nearly 2 years, and one of my rear wheel nuts won't torque up - the stud is turning. How big a job is it to change the studs and what's involved?

Mike

On a De dion its hub off and split the disk / hub.

Drift out the old, in with new.

I had this happen at the track with slicks on! Needed to get the wheels off to change back to road goers for the drive home!

I was able to grip the back of the stud through the Minilight to hold it to undo in the end. Used a borrowed plumbers wrench.

The reason mine spun was that the DPO had over tightened the wheel nuts and pulled the threads causing the undo force to spin the stud on the splines. I would check yours carefully.

I replaced all 16 studs for longer ones. Torque to 48ftlb's with copparslip anti sieze compound and have never had anytrouble since!

If it's a rear stud the hub it's steel then a real bodge (assuming the thread is ok) would be to put a small spot weld on the stud back to hub. You would have to have the wheel off to do this and disconnect battery / ECU etc before hand.

A small spot weld would be easy enough to file off if the need to replace the stud arose. It's only stopping the stud spinning - nothing else. Wouldn't affect balance either i would think.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 Jun 2005 10:16:20

Aha, same as I have then.

Even a screw driver or shaped steel bar might be enough to grip it.

Have you tried speed. An air impact wrench or a socket and solid bar and a stern whack with a lump hammer?

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Don't have air (well, not under pressure anyway...), but will try the speed approach. Have tried using a screwdriver as a wedge but to no avail. My Dad is currently scouring his garage for useful-looking wedge-shaped bits of metal.

Thanks for the tips!

Mike