Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spark plugs for an injected 1700 Supersprint

Ian Macquarie

I know that the Caterham recommendation for the SuperSprint is B8ECS. I use these and have been quite happy with them.

My engine is fuel injected and I note from other threads that resistor plugs are preferred in this situation. This started me on a hunt for an equivalent resistor plug (I now know that you can get a BR8ECS) Before I found that out I noticed that there are other recommendations for crossflow plugs and wondered what the advantages / disadvantages were.

BR8ECS Resistor equivalent of Caterham recommendation - plug with short angled ground electrode.

BPR8ES Burton recommendation – projected nose.

BR8EIX NGK recommendation – iridium tipped plug.

The “standard” fitment for standard crossflows would seem to be the projected nose style. Does anybody know why Caterham recommend the short electrode? (Come to that, Roger King seems to be of the same opinion - a quote from an earlier thread …”But they must be B8ECS specifically and not any other type of 8.”)

Are there any advantages to using the iridium tipped plugs suggested by NGK in an email reply to a query to the technical link on their website?

Is anybody aware of any back to back testing that has been done on 1700 supersprint spec engines with different plug types on a rolling road or dyno?

Thanks

Ian