Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head work - VX 1.6

The Don

I had my Webers tuned yesterday by Ray at T&M in Colchester. Car's running much better now (and with a 20% fuel saving *thumbup*) but you know how it is...I got talking about increasing the power and I mentioned to Ray Bill Blydenstein and he said another guy in Ipswich is equally good for head work.

This guy's name is Richard and I've got his phone number, but I don't know any more, though Ray's of the opinion he's one of the top four 'head work' experts in England, including BB and someone in Reading. I'm all for increasing the power, especially if it's so local, but wondered if anyone knew any more, and whether it's a good idea to have the power increased in this 'non-standard' way (resale value etc.)?

Cheers,

Howard

dont know anything about the tuners based in reading - but i have noticed that caterhams are one of the few car where additional parts, and some choice tuning mods can have a positive effect on or even increase value.

most run of the mill cars depreciate and are valued regardless of the hundreds/thousands spent on aftermarket add-ons. the values are dictated by market pressures.

at least with caterhams you should see a good chunk of your mod-money coming back at re-sale time.

IMHO

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid I don't know the technicalities of what T&M did other than it was on the rolling road for an hour and there was lots of twiddling of the carbs. It was running much too rich with a now resultant increase in fuel efficiency and greatly improved responsiveness.

I was a bit disappointed to see that power is only 94bhp with 75bhp at the wheels (according to the brochure VX Classics are supposed to have 100bhp ☹️ )

Ray suggested power could easily be hiked either by some head work and a livelier cam (hence my original question) and/or advancing the ignition by 4 or 5 degrees. I see from a post you made in September last year the electronic ignotion is not programmable - do you know whether changes can be made at all or am I stuck with current settings?

All the best,

Howard

good question Howard - I'd like to know how Ray at T&M intends to adjust the ignition advance, because as far as I can tell there is not a facility to enable this...

Iam happy to be corrected though because im no expert.

if you are going to ask Ray about the ignition advance I would be keen to learn more. it would also be good to learn what he did with your carbs. if he changed the jets or anything...

Hi Grant,

Just spoke to Ray (he's talking a different langauge *confused* ). Here's what he told me plus a few other nuggets of information...

He set the pilots from 0 to 2.5 and thereafter adjusted the air corrector to match the main jet - in my case from 7% to 5.5% (hence the 20% saving in fuel). He says the key is "Air to fuel, not fuel to air".

Re the electronic ignition he says alternatives are manufactured by DTA (probably the cheapest) and Weber (expensive) and another that sounded like Dunhall (sp?).

Also repacking my exhaust (outer) *shouldn't* require a repeat session on the RR.

Hope this is of some use - I hope I haven't mangled the message: if I have it's entirely down to my ignorance and shouldn't reflect adversely on Ray, who by all accounts is a top man.

Cheers,

Howard

...just re-read the FAQ section on tuning Webers in light of my conversation with Ray.

Emulsion tubes, idle jets, venturis. *confused* 😳 *eek* ☹️

I'm so far out of my depth I'm going to take up crochet.

I am just going outside and may be some time.

...just that the ignition could easily be advanced by 5 degrees but I got the impression that's not his area. I'm assuming (incorrectly?) based on what his and your comments that to adjust the advance requires a new ECU?

Henry,

It's T&M here. Ask for Ray.

It's near B&Q if that means anything to you. Cost is £38 + VAT per hour (I paid £44.65 on Sat).

I'd be interested to know what your power output is now, following the BB work.

Cheers,

Howard

Edited by - The Don on 23 May 2005 13:52:24

The don - thanks for that, i know where that is i'm only down the road.

will give them a ring and book her in and let you know the result.

I did have her on a RR last spring time straight after the BB work to get the carbs tuned up....but it wasn't the best RR in the world & i'm keen to see if there has been an improvement with a few 1000 miles.

what's this about ignition advancing? does it help torque?

H.

Loud and proud member of the Blydenstein Club!

Henry - at the risk of boring you, can you confirm your jet sizes. I bought a load of jets after having mine Blydensteined and now just want to check they are the right ones before I fit them and get the car on a rolling road thanks Chas

hi chas

will have a look at lunch time.

I'm sure i used the same jets as James (boasis) but changed the pump jet.

off top of head. mains=115, pump=35..will look for others later!

H

Loud and proud member of the Blydenstein Club!