Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump and oil cooling

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Before I put my Laminova up for sale, has anyone who runs a Caterham dry sump set up (K-series) needed any form of oil cooling?

I had the Laminova fitted plus Apollo before I bought the dry sump setup as I had experienced high oil temperatures on track. I didn't fit the Laminova with the dry sump and to date have had no oil temperature issues.

The car is a 1.6 supersport and is used for road and a handful of trackdays a year. I don't really want to fit the Laminova if it isn't necessary but don't want to sell it if I might need it in the future.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I used a laminova with my dry sump but for completly opposite reasons - never once did I have any issues with the DS temps on track . And it should be noted that the R400 racecars dont have any issues either *thumbup* with the same setup

But I found it realy hard to get sufficient temperature *into* the oil on road and sprints . I found it would take 8 miles or so to get the oil up to temp ( 80C) , with the laminova I would achieve 80C in less than a few miles ( once the water had come upto temp )

I also found it good for sprinting as I could warm the oil in the paddock much quicker before a run .

The downside is that the Laminovas can create a large back pressure against the pump owing to their very desugn and purpose . I used mine on the return , low pressure hose to belltank for this reason .

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

This may have no relevance to you as I have a Vx with Caterham dry sump system. My concerns were that the oil would take forever to get warm and never really get that hot. I had the opportunity to buy a Laminova cheaply and plumbed it in so that the coolant was supplied from the heater circuit so that the oil would be heated quickly. This seems to work well although I have to say I'd like to see the oil get a little warmer. I think there may be an oil temperature sensor issue here as well so not really clear cut but I would'nt scrap the Laminova just beacaue you're going dry sump, you may need it for a different reason.

• Support Team

So the consensus is that I don't need the Laminova for cooling but I might want to consider it for warming the oil from a cold start?

I don't seem to have that much of an issue with the time it takes the oil to warm so I think I'll put it up for sale - I've had enough of playing mechanic and just want to drive the car 😬. Still got a couple of things to do before I can say the rebuild is complete but I'm nearly there.

Yellow SL *cool* #32