Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone recognise this Vx cam

Paul Deslandes

Working on a 16 valve 2 litre Vx engine fitted with inlet and exhaust cams stamped with 633 IN and 633 EX on the ends. Does anyone know who makes them or have duration, overlap and timing or performance data? Rumour has it they might be Piper but they're not listed in their current catalogue.

Hi Mark

They both have EP189 cast into them but I believe this is the 'blank' casting number rather than the final ground profile. I may be wrong but I have always assumed that the camshaft manufacturers e.g. Kent, Piper etc each use the same blanks for a range of their cams. I have always taken the hand stamped number as the identifier. SBD (or Kent Cams on their behalf) hand stamp theirs on a flat ground onto the side.

Daniel is keen to know what's inside before we bolt it all up!

BTW, do you know if any work has been done on the head. It looks as though the inlet ports may be oversize and don't match the gasket or inlet manifold.

Does that dog eat you out of house and home!?

All the best

Paul

Paul

I'm sure you are right about hte casting number, I had assumed that was the cam type but I know nothing *smile*

I only ever took the manifold off after the engine came out just recently, they did look like they had been polished but as for size I had nothing to compare them to so assumed they were standard. It might be worth contacting Andy Griffiths as he had the engine built by Bob Jones in 2001 I think

Mark

The Piper 633 profile is the same as used for the K series, 264 degrees with around 10mm lift. These are timed with 60thou lift at TDC on the onlet and 40 thou on the exhaust if your pistons will allow.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 13 May 2005 06:46:27