Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mixing engine oil

Ozzy

Quite. This and filling an engine with diesel overnight are the province of backstreet Arthur Daleys needing to dissolve 5 years' worth of gunge from the oil pickup strainer etc to give a half knackered engine reasonable oil pressure for long enough to get it sold.

Decent oil, regularly changed, will keep an engine clean. Indeed a neglected engine will gradually clean up under these circumstances. Sadly, as I know to my own cost, by the time you get rid of the gunge the damage is often already done. ☹️

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now Fordy, that's just stirring. Oil paranoia will be setting in and before you know it someone will be posting up "I recently changed the oil and filter in my 5000 mile K series. I used Mobil 1 5W/40 but 100 miles later it's gone a slightly darker gold colour, do you think I need to change it again? It did get a bit hot in traffic the other day. Yours, worried of Nether Twitchell, Hants." *tongue* 😬

😬

lots of OEM's using high quality semi-synths and synths out to 20,000 mile oil drain intervals on petrol cars 😳

not that I'd advodate that on your caterham of course, because as we all know, the lightweight and high revs on the quick blat to the shops knocks the hell out of the 8 litres of our beloved synthetics *tongue*. ( cor if we could have 8 litres in the focus i'd have you all running 50,000 mile oil drain intervals 😬)

I change my oil every 500 miles - but thats because i seem to have cause to take the engine out that often !