Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak on VX2.0...advice please

Lotus Boy

I have a '94 HPC and am getting a little oil leak from the alloy cover that sits on the end of the exhaust cam. I believe this cover is where the distributor used to sit when in a Vauxhall car, it has a black connector that plugs into it and if I understand correctly is used as a timing sensor??

The problem occurred a few months back and the O-ring gasket was replaced and silicone sealant added in a effort to remedy, this was done by the previous owner. Looks like it hasn't worked properly.

Should this alloy cover be filled with oil? I'm told there is an oilway at the end of the cam but not sure if it is designed to fill up the cover since the dizzy was originally supposed to sit there.

Any ideas on what to do to stop it leaking. It's only very small amounts but would like to stop it nonetheless for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Dave

My understanding is there should be a plug in the end of the cam shaft to prevent this. The stock VX has a bearing ball held in place with some type of spring arrangement in the cam position sensor housing. My Swindon engine has a threaded hex keyed plug in the end of the cam.

See here

And here

-Bob

94 HPC VX

Edited by - Bob Simon on 29 Mar 2005 21:04:05