Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rigid cover

Tony C

I think my next project will be to make-up a rigid cover for the passenger side. Does anyone have any photo's of the attachment at the leading edge they could send me?

I'd rather not merely fasten it to the outside of the scuttle and would like to engineer a flush join with the inside edge of the scuttle.

Any suggestions gratefully received 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony, I think the race cars cover fit over the scuttle then simply have a small plate( on the cover )that clips under the edge of the scuttle to stop it comming up, if you wanted it to fit flush think it would need a joggle or a plate riveted to the underside, and then possibly a zues on the dash, hard to explain in words.

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC

Edited by - k.russell on 23 Feb 2005 19:18:26

Hmmm: Thanks for all your input - most useful 😬

It was suggested by one of my colleagues that flush fitting could be achieved by attaching several 'L' shaped brackets to the dash who's other leg protruded beyond the rear edge of the scuttle, into which Dzus fasteners could be fitted. These brackets could be attached to the dash with Dzus fasteners too

The nearside edge could be located by one long 'U' shaped bracket that was permanently attached to the cover, to fit over the kicking strip - probably rubber lined to prevent fretting.

The rear could use similar brackets to the front.

The drivers side would, as suggested here, need supporting. B&Q and Homebase do a nice selection of aluminium tube, over which the edge of the cover be rolled and riveted to give a nice friendly edge.

I saw a rigid cover on a 7 at Stonleigh in 2003. It was made from the same coated sheet as is used for the internal side panels. It was necessary to be very close to see it wasn't a standard tonneau.

The required rigidity to prevent excessive distortion from air loads could be provided by internal reinforcement strips, of so called 'Top Hat' section - as used on aircraft - possibly glued, or riveted if glue doesn't work.

Possibly contour the drivers side edge to fit shoulder and a slight inward curve on the leading edge, with now obscured instruments and switches suspended from cover within the drivers view.

Starting to feel like a worwhile project already 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 23 Feb 2005 21:32:37

Edited by - Tony C on 23 Feb 2005 21:33:55

I've made a template pretty similar to what you describe . I just havent had the opportunity to get into the workshop in work and roll it and fabriacte it yet .

I was going to Tig weld on some stregthener strips and actually fasten it onto the rear of the tube behind the dash , so it would be flush with the top of the dash / scuttle .

I have tested some of the white enameled ally sheets I used for my covered trailer and these take well to simply being sprayed with black satin spray paint onto the enamel surface - so that does away with all the hassel of painting the ally itself .

I'm going to make mine in the next few weeks before the season begins .

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*