Click here if you are having website access problems ×

heater setup

DJW

I obtained one of the old style heaters (metal case) some time ago with the intention of fitting it to my 1997 classic. Went to fit it earlier this week and it looks like it would not be possible as the gearbox tunnel is directly beneath the blanking plate. I am right in assuming this is wrong type of heater for the car?

Darrell

Nope, that's how they are supposed to go. The tunnel is double skinned and you need to cut through the top skin only. The heater draws in air from the space above the tunnel and blows it into the footwells.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,100 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

Oliver

Sorry for the late response, with a new born baby on the since it takes low priory on my thing to list. (or should I say the wife's list) Thanks for the pic but mine looks nothing like that. I have a large square blanking plate which is L shaped in form. Viewed from inside the car it looks like even if I were to remove it and fit the heater, the chassis members will prevent the warm air from entering the footwell and as mentioned previously will just heat the tunnel. Any advice welcomed.

Darrell